Hay & Forage Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Shortened hitch works well now with baskets.
Retimed baler, packer was 2 teeth out.
Adjusted tucker fingers, they were way out, one over centred.
Tightened needle brake.

End result, eats hay like crazy now, no broken shear pins. 500 bales an hour in not the best raked field.

·
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Follow up to this thread, my 336 is sold, and my 348 might be sold, and have a line on a high bale count 1839 to add to the stable. We shall see if a deal works out!

·
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Rebaled about 200 bales of straw with the 336 last fall after the plunger repair just to make sure it worked well. That thing introduced me to what a reliable baler could do for stress reduction during hay season. Sure is a nice feeling given my experience in years past!

·
5,824 Posts
Late update but the 1839 didn't work out, but the same seller now has an 1840 available. Brand new pickup as it was removed before they used the baler. High bale count, says the knotter is showing some wear, misses 2-3 bales per 1000 bales. Should be able to get it in June cross fingers the covid #'s in Quebec are lower by then. Will be my backup baler.

·
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The 348 baled something like 10k bales with the new owner last summer. He’s extremely pleased with it. The 336 left and was a backup baler for a fellow. I was a bit nervous going a season with no proper backup but everything was fine.

·
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update to this thread, later in the summer of 2021 the new owner of my 348 asked if I could come take a look as the baler wasn't working. Got there to look it over, they broke the knotter drive shear pin and replaced it without fully investigating before running it up to speed. The safety stop hadn't been checked that year and it was seized, left the needles in the knotter somehow. Blew the knotter all to pieces and twisted the needle frame. Was heart wrenching to see my old sweetie all torn up. They had also bent the bale case somehow in a mishap. It was all fixed up and put back in action before long but I'm sure it was not a great bill to swallow.

The MF 1840 related aspect, when I got home, checked my safety stop - the spring had failed, was laying there not hooked to anything. Fixed immediately so just a reminder to check and replace on high bale count machines.

·
Registered
237 Posts
An old timer that gave me some good tips when I was starting out warned we to check the plunger stop daily, didn't take me long to leave the top shield off and I now catch myself watching it several times each day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went and took a look at a 2011 MF1839 for my first small square baler today. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Selling at $17,300 CAD.

I was looking for an older NH model, 315/316 but I am figuring with the MF 1839 I wouldn't be wanting/needing to switch out in 5 years and parts would be a little more accessible. Everyone "online" seems to say these machines run pretty well, and since I didn't grow up fixing balers in the field I thought better to have something dependable.
Plant Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tree

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Pink Red
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went and took a look at a 2011 MF1839 for my first small square baler today. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Selling at $17,300 CAD.

I was looking for an older NH model, 315/316 but I am figuring with the MF 1839 I wouldn't be wanting/needing to switch out in 5 years and parts would be a little more accessible. Everyone "online" seems to say these machines run pretty well, and since I didn't grow up fixing balers in the field I thought better to have something dependable. View attachment 91748

View attachment 91749 View attachment 91750 View attachment 91751 View attachment 91752
That was mine that I bought last year (if it’s at advantage) used it last season till the new one came in. Ask if Tara Hills is where it came from.
They got two from the same farmer that traded in. We took the newer one. When we dropped it off last fall I think ours was the only one on the lot .
It worked well. We put 17000 bales through it!
I even contacted the old owner who was a great guy and kept his equipment in great shape. He even dropped in for a visit when he was up in our area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That was mine that I bought last year (if it’s at advantage) used it last season till the new one came in. Ask if Tara Hills is where it came from.
They got two from the same farmer that traded in. We took the newer one. When we dropped it off last fall I think ours was the only one on the lot .
It worked well. We put 17000 bales through it!
I even contacted the old owner who was a great guy and kept his equipment in great shape. He even dropped in for a visit when he was up in our area.
Wow. Small world! I didn't see that coming.

The story I got is that it's a recent trade in. The salesman I'm dealing with wasn't directly in on that deal. Apparently, the farmer ran into some money and bought a brand new MF1840 and traded this one in. The story on the farmer is that he always stored it inside, is a whiz with these machines, and had alot of success with it.

I wonder if it's yours and they are still mentioning that it was an old owner. They are planning to put me in touch with the prior owner.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts