Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about these? Found one for sale local. Looking to buy a rake for grass hay. Would a wheel rake be a better choice?

·
Registered
812 Posts
They are a rake/ tedder combination I believe. Raking it makes a nice fluffy windrow, it's not ropey, nice for air flow and bragging about how big of a windrow you bale without a problem. It does take three passes to combine two raking widths. As a tedder I think it does a good job but it probably won't take long until you wish your tedder was a 4 basket.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hello, can we have a bit more info please. How big an area do you want to rake? Would it be your only rake? What sort of bales are you making?

The haybob has been around for a long time, so it is proven. I borrowed one from a neighbour about 20 years ago for a small tedding job and it worked well. It is a 2-basket, centre delivery tedder-rake. It would be great for small square bales but not really suitable for round bales unless your hay is really heavy because it only rakes about 10 feet wide. Having said that, last year I used a Lely Lotus 300 (similar to a haybob) to rake for my round baler because the hay was too thick for my fingerwheel v-rake. I also used the Lotus to ted the last 70 acres after my 4-basket tedder broke down. Yes, it took twice as long but ity was better than nothing.

If you need a tedder and it's cheap then go for it.

Roger

·
Registered
404 Posts
They are a rake/ tedder combination I believe. Raking it makes a nice fluffy windrow, it's not ropey, nice for air flow and bragging about how big of a windrow you bale without a problem. It does take three passes to combine two raking widths. As a tedder I think it does a good job but it probably won't take long until you wish your tedder was a 4 basket.
In August in Georgia it takes about 2 hrs to wish it was a 4 basket. They're a jack of both trades and a master of none. If you're a small producer that can't afford or justify the big equipment then they work fine. Kinda like sickle mowers and discbines. They both have their place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What would be the over/under for the size of an operation? I have two 35 acre plots , and a 9 acre plot. I suppose if it didn't fit the bill it would still work as a Tedder and backup rake. The price difference is noticeable for a new one here in Canada it's 7500 vs. 13K for a class 370T, which is a smaller Rake. I was advised on these for alfalfa as it wouldn't knock as many leaves of the hay and leave them on the ground.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What would be the over/under for the size of an operation? I have two 35 acre plots , and a 9 acre plot. I suppose if it didn't fit the bill it would still work as a Tedder and backup rake. The price difference is noticeable for a new one here in Canada it's 7500 vs. 13K for a class 370T, which is a smaller Rake. I was advised on these for alfalfa as it wouldn't knock as many leaves of the hay and leave them on the ground.
Although some will disagree IME a haybob doesn't do either task well.
For your acreage you don't need a brand like Claas, a very good product BTW, but you could look at some italian-made one like Sitrex or Enorossi which a re a lot less expensive.
The haybob could do for tedding in a pinch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Although some will disagree IME a haybob doesn't do either task well.
For your acreage you don't need a brand like Claas, a very good product BTW, but you could look at some italian-made one like Sitrex or Enorossi which a re a lot less expensive.
The haybob could do for tedding in a pinch.
I want to buy new because I am buying it under my late fathers farm, and with my family members, it might be a little less risky than buying a used one and ending up with a dud.

How exactly does the haybob 300 not do a good job while raking? Does it leave too much hay on the ground? I've heard above that it is slow, but how much slower ?

I have heard good things about claas also, I hadn't considered the italian made ones, and will take a look. I suppose part of the appeal of the class 370T is that it is a little smaller, but isn't a 3 point which would be nice out in the field when switching tractors between equipment. Also there is a dealer relatively close by for parts, maintenance if/when needeed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I want to buy new because I am buying it under my late fathers farm, and with my family members, it might be a little less risky than buying a used one and ending up with a dud.

How exactly does the haybob 300 not do a good job while raking? Does it leave too much hay on the ground? I've heard above that it is slow, but how much slower ?

I have heard good things about claas also, I hadn't considered the italian made ones, and will take a look. I suppose part of the appeal of the class 370T is that it is a little smaller, but isn't a 3 point which would be nice out in the field when switching tractors between equipment. Also there is a dealer relatively close by for parts, maintenance if/when needeed.
The tedder & rake do 2 different jobs and the haybob is a compromise on both.
The tedder's action is "violent" in that it picks up the forage and throws it away and in the air, the arms have 2 tines each.
The rake (especially the rotary) has a "gentle" action sweeps the hay gently and puts in a row the arms have 6-8 tines each.
You can see why the haybob can only be a compromise.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Might want to price out a pottinger, probably the nicest rake currently on the market, and cheaper then claas and krone.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Might want to price out a pottinger, probably the nicest rake currently on the market, and cheaper then claas and krone.
Pottinger are excellent implements, I'm also suggesting this, have a look at SIP implements, it's a slovenian company and IMO they copy Pottinger implements, all they make is hay machinery.
There is an importer MTI Canada MTI Canada - Home and there are many dealers in SW Ontario, excellent prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts