Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a krone ec2800cri discbine. The main gearbox (the one that drives rollers and cutterbar) keeps dumping oil out thru the breather. It has done this since new.

The gearbox runs the same temperature as the other gearboxes. It will keep puking oil till there is almost no oil left. It will dump the vast majority out in the first 20 acres of cutting.

I have tried different oils, new breather, extending the breather tube, replaced the breather tube and elbow. all with no success.

Going thru parts manuals i noticed that the older manuals show a different gearbox housing with no breather. The later versions that show the breather also show a plug for said breather hole. Could i get away with plugging the breather? I don't like the idea off plugging it but running out of options.

Original the breather goes straight in the elbow i extended the pipe in hope it would let air out and give the oil time to run back.

The oil will be dripping out, not a slow sweat and wont slow down till the level is maybe an inch above the drain hole (lowest plug)

Any ideas of suggestions?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is a pressure valve in the outboard end of the cutterbar. Check it to make sure it isn't plugged. It is in a recessed cavity. It could be that it is plugged or not opening and the pressure in the bar is pushing past the gearbox bottom seal and building pressure in the gear box. Once you remove the valve you be able to press the ball inside the hole and feel spring pressure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will check that pressure switch/breather.

If that is not the solution.... could i get away with plugging the breather hole? I was worried about pressure buildup and my seals but i guess it could escape thru the seal to the top gearbox which also has a breather. Is that why early versions didnt have a breather?

Either way i will check the cutterbar breather as soon as i am back at the farm.

·
Registered
552 Posts
#39 is the vent that I referred to. It is a small pressure relief type vent. It holds a very small amount of back pressure. 2 lbs or so IIRC. Once pressure builds up the ball unseats and releases the cutter bar housing pressure. The ball reseats and seals the cutterbar housing maintaining a cleaner system than a continuously open vent. I don't know any other place where that much pressure could originate. The vent is considerably higher than the lubricant level. We added the vent to the pedestal gearbox around 2010. I'm not sure the reason for adding it. I don't recall any issues on the pedestal gearbox.
I wouldn't recommend plugging it. You could blow a seal and lose the lube. I would also be concerned about lubricant aeration. Losing that much lube so quickly there has to be a lot of aeration in the gearbox.

Are you running a GL-5 lubricant?

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Engineering

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Running a 80w90 gl5 oil. Have tried 3 different oils since i got it, incl a full synthetic 75w90. Made no difference, throws it out just as fast. Also did it with oil that came in it. I just can't figure it out. I hope you are onto something with the cutterbar vent, beyond frustrated with this machine.

Also dont understand why it keeps spitting oil, would it not just let the pressurised air out. Is it the roller drive gear that throws the oil up there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts