Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice from the Experts:

I live on the High Plains of Texas with hay crops of bermuda, alfalfa, hay grazer, milo stalks, corn stalks, prairie grass, sudan, and a few others. Most of my experience has been with rubber or steel conditioners. My question is;" In which crops would the flail be a better choice than the rollers/ crimpers? And how much could you expect to pay for a good used 2004 jd 956 moco with flails?

Thanks

Tractordoc1979

·
479 Posts
I would agree, most all of your crops would benefit much more from steel or rubber rollers except bermuda and your prairie hay, in which the flails would have a slight edge since it is a grassy rather than a leafy crop. Also, flails, if adjusted properly can be used to condition sudan but I would wager that the rolls would be more effective. Flails will also beat leaves off of Alfalfa and other legumes like crazy.

Reactions: Tractordoc1979

·
Registered
874 Posts
Need advice from the Experts:
I live on the High Plains of Texas with hay crops of bermuda, alfalfa, hay grazer, milo stalks, corn stalks, prairie grass, sudan, and a few others. Most of my experience has been with rubber or steel conditioners. My question is;" In which crops would the flail be a better choice than the rollers/ crimpers? And how much could you expect to pay for a good used 2004 jd 956 moco with flails?

Thanks

Tractordoc1979
John Deer on their Impeller (flails) has a disclaimer on crops like haygrazer. I had one and hated it in haygrazer and milo stalks. That said, it is not reccommended for stalk crops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts