Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JD 6400 was blowing hydraulic fluid out of one of the lines to the cooler. There’s 2 steel lines in front of the cab and rubber lines are clamped to it. At first I thought a plugged breather, but once I cleaned that end up, I filled with oil, and it seemed that once it got warm it blew the hose off again. I just changed both the filters, filled with oil and ran good. While I was putting tools away, it must have warmed up, and after running for 10-15 minutes, it blew the hose off again. Oil is too expensive to blow on the ground, so is there any other avenues to look at before I try again?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It'll just depend on the how that hydraulic system is routed. Like for mine the PTO gets priority for hydraulic pressure, then its routed to the 3pt lift, then it's routed to the oil cooler, then it routes back to the directional valve and made available for remotes, then back to the reservoir.

You'll have to know where the fluid goes after the oil cooler to start looking for blockages. That's assuming you've got the right size hoses and you're cranking down on the hose clamps enough.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A rubber hose with regular hose clamp isn't going to hold much more than 100psi, a barb fitting with hose clamp 150psi ish.

Knowing next to nothing about green machine inner working I'm assuming the cooler circuit has some sort of pressure reducer or is plumbed into a low pressure/lube circuit. Start looking for an obstruction link a kinked hose/pipe, or a plugged cooler.

Past that time to buy a service manual and study the hydraulic flow chart and theory of operation.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My JD 6400 was blowing hydraulic fluid out of one of the lines to the cooler. There’s 2 steel lines in front of the cab and rubber lines are clamped to it. At first I thought a plugged breather, but once I cleaned that end up, I filled with oil, and it seemed that once it got warm it blew the hose off again. I just changed both the filters, filled with oil and ran good. While I was putting tools away, it must have warmed up, and after running for 10-15 minutes, it blew the hose off again. Oil is too expensive to blow on the ground, so is there any other avenues to look at before I try again?
I have seen very few high-pressure oil coolers, and they were all in industrial applications. Tractor coolers normally run on the return side in the 200psi (15 bar) or less range.
The line you describe sounds low pressure but, depending on the connection still sounds high for a hand applied clamp. Do your lines look like these: ARIMain - WEINGARTZ

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 6400 when I was driving it back from next door. I think it's pretty low pressure in those lines cause not anywhere near the amount of oil came out as it would've with a blown hydraulic hose. My fix was to buy all new hose because my 1994 hose was rock hard and I put two clamps on everywhere there was room. There are also two short pieces where it comes out of the front of the transmission. I think a little bead on the steel tube would make that better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts