Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to use my baler today and man does it bale sweet! Huge upgrade from the Hesston 5580! Big beautiful bales that are dense as all get out. But when the wrapping starts the low voltage indicator comes on and even though it goes off after 5 or 10 seconds the wrapping started light never goes off and it never tells me to eject the bale. Now I've gotten out and looked and it cut the wrap. But the last bale of the day it didn't cut the wrap and it kept going and got around the top roller. Most of the bales had a lot of wraps on it even though it is set for 4 wraps.

I do have it connected to the battery directly though a convenience outlet wired to it. Baler is on a Case 2290 with a 72 Amp alternator. Seems kinda wimpy for the tractor? I'll check it out tomorrow to see if it's good. Anything anyone can think of to keep it from wrapping so many times and cut? Trying to get all this figured out before I have any cut and raked ready to bale with rain coming in and have issues?

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Have you greased the 2 grease fittings encircled in green on both ends of netwrap attachment? There's a channel on monitor that one can switch to to check voltage of monitor supply voltage(channel 15) & voltage of actuator arm(channel 14). These channels I listed are in my model 467 rd baler operators manual & may not be the same for your 566 baler. What crop are you baling to need more than 2 wraps of netwrap?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did gease the one side couldn't find the other one until I dug around this morning. I was going though the owners manual last night and had no idea you could text that stuff with the monitor. Learn something new every day. I'll test it when I get home this afternoon and see what it says. As far as the 4 wraps go I didn't see that it was set that much. I turned it down to 2.5. I'm not too worried about the number of wraps as I store them outside and I only make at max right now 60 bales a year so the wrap will go bad or the mice will get it before I use it all...

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was able to go to channel 15 and find out the monitors getting 12.7 volts which seems like more than enough. And then I went to Channel 14 and extended and retracted the actuator, during the movement it's within specs at between 4 and 7 but when it's at the end of the movement it's at 35 when it should be at 46 or 47. I don't know what values those are in. So what would be the next step in figuring this out? I'm going to check all the wiring tomorrow looking for a bad connections. But is there a way of testing the actuator by itself?

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Electric controlled actuator arms came into prominent use after I left JD dealership. Luckily I've had no major problems with my electrical actuator so I've had no need for extensive diagnostics. It appears from viewing 566 parts catalog that twine & net actuator arms won't interchange as they have different part #s.

Operator's manual states when testing net actuator when arm reaches end of travel low reading of "35" indicates low monitor voltage or bad electrical connection.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
ind out the monitors getting 12.7 volts which seems like more than enough.
If the tractor was running, that is low. Typical system voltage with engine running should be 13.5-14V.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that was what the tractor off. I put heavier wires going straight from the battery to the monitor and it jumped to 35 so at least I'm moving to the right direction. Will be checking Connections and the main wiring harness connection in the next day or so how would you recommend cleaning that To see if we can get a better connection? I do hear people will take those actuators apart and clean and look through them is that an option or would that just be a fart in a wind storm?

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
If you are wondering what’s in a linear actuator . . .

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So when I did the voltage to the monitor the tractor was off. So I ran it today and tested the voltage and I'm getting 14 volts to the monitor. I did check those values for the extended retract on channel 14 and they were in the low 40s and it should be 46 when it's at the full range. I added larger wires from the battery to the monitor and that's what bumped it up a few so evidently there's a connection issue that I'm trying to work through. My question is is could the net wrap break or a dull knife cause low voltage issues if it has to draw more to work it harder. Those are my next things to check. My knife right now is like a old pocket knife it'll cut you but it's not going to do it very easily

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I've got 29,194 bales on my 467 & I've never sharpened the net knife. The net attachment operated fine the last time my baler baled hay. If I'm thinking correctly netwrap brake shouldn't require extra voltage. Dry hinge points in area I advised you previously to lubricate does make knife arm mechanism more difficult to move.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah greased those once I found the one that was hidden under the arm on the accuator side. I guess your advantage is you've owned yours since new so you know what it's been though. Mine belonged to an old dairy farm and no disrespect to Dairy Farmers because I know they live on such slim margins but all the ones that I knew around here didn't do anything with their equipment till it broke. The money wasn't there for routine maintenance all the time. I plan on cleaning up the connections and checking wires. I did check the top where it hinged because you can see that used a torch to replace a bearing and melted some of that black tubing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So just an update to maybe help someone else down the road. I bought a John Deere plug to use with the monitor and wired it straight to the battery. Got the low voltage issue.
So I then replaced the wires from the battery to the plug with larger wires. Didn't help. I then figured out that the wires on the plug were really small... So I cut that out and spliced the wire right to the monitor wire and it was reading 14.5 volts on the monitor. I then took some electric cleaning spray and gave the main plug and the connector to the accuator a good cleaning and then boom! Everything worked perfectly! Got 44 on the monitor even though I still don't know what value that means. Manual says approximately 46 so I'll take that as it doesn't have to be exact. Love this baler! Whole new ballgame now. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts