Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to a 435. It makes a great bale but after 2 bales it quit auto tying. Works fine if i manually trip it. I've checked and appears all 5 springs are there. As soon as the bale size adjuster hits where it should tie it doesnt and appears to me something is preventing the twine pump belt tensioner from tightening up the belt to run the pump.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Welcome to HayTalk
You're correct when bale size adjusting knob releases mechanism a spring should pull idler up against bottom portion of twine pump belt which would cause twinearm pump to pump. Theres a couple of grease fittings on this linkage. Have you been regularly greasing them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to HayTalk
You're correct when bale size adjusting knob releases mechanism a spring should pull idler up against bottom portion of twine pump belt which would cause twinearm pump to pump. Theres a couple of grease fittings on this linkage. Have you been regularly greasing them?
I did find and greased the fittings. I just got this bailer last fall and just started bailing with it thursday for the first time. I just cant figure out why its not tripping the idler. Im trying to learn this baler and how to set a 10 wheel rake so i can bale behind it with a standard pickup. So far i like it and makes a really nice bale.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
With no hay in baler engage gate lock valve. Operate scv so tension arm raises so number denoting desired bale size is displayed in window on RH side of baler. With ""engine off"" open RH door & inspect twine pump linkage to determione which springs have tension on them. Is latch unlatched(item 45) from bellcrank(item 4)? Has idler pully advanced upward towards twine pump drive belt?

JD rd baler design hasn't changed very much since the X30 balers were introduced in '83 except for changing from hyd controlled wrapping to electric controlled wrapping(Baletrac Pro monitor) & then the much improved Mega-wide pickup.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill see what happens. I did some what try what you suggested. I set it to smallest bale size and locked the gate but ran it only to 3 on the size indicator. Thats when i noticed my idler for twine pump didnt engage all the way and wasn't spinning the twine pump. I'll check out what you have circled when i get back to my baler. I really wish i had wide pick up and net wrap. My next baler will definitely have both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
John Deere 430 has nearly identical twine wrapping systems. The springs are the usual problem. The next thing you should check is make sure the system is clean no chaff build up etc. also always check fluid level as sometimes this will cause an issue. Also check is there was air in the system. It shows in the 430 operators manual that in the case a blowgun with a rag wrapped around it and small shots of air being blown into the reservoir to push the air on thru the system. I also read about that problem somewhere at wall work forums. maybe there you can find more complete answers

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
My experience with hyd pump on JD rd baler twine pump is air entering system is a problem only if fluid level has been allowed to get low. If fluid level has been correctly maintained air in system isn't normally a problem

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
If bale size adjusting knob has reached it's rearward movement limit then the 1/2 Indian arrowhead shaped latch should have moved up to release bellcrank allowing twine pump belt idler to move up putting pressure on flat back of twine pump belt. Also more of valve spool should be exposed in other photo. IIRC & I think I do curved piece in 3rd photo should be up against round stop rod which it would be if spool was shifted up in valve housing.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts