Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cylinders started leaking and causing some bales to develop into banana shape. Bought parts to rebuild the cylinders ... John Deere says mine can't be rebuilt. Cannot remove a blind snap ring. John Deere wants $423.28 for a new one. That would be $846.56 to replace the pair. My baler is 25 years old on Oct 11.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
One of my cylinders started leaking and causing some bales to develop into banana shape. Bought parts to rebuild the cylinders ... John Deere says mine can't be rebuilt. Cannot remove a blind snap ring. John Deere wants $423.28 for a new one. That would be $846.56 to replace the pair. My baler is 25 years old on Oct 11.
Too high....take it to a machinist and present a challenge from JD. I would not buy 2 cylinders as the other cylinder may last and last if that is the chosen route.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Brake fluid cures a lot of issues in a pinch. I've done that more than once. While it's not a permanent fix, it works well temporarly by swelling the 'o' rings.

Leave it to JD for planned obsolesence. :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake fluid cures a lot of issues in a pinch. I've done that more than once. While it's not a permanent fix, it works well temporarly by swelling the 'o' rings.

Leave it to JD for planned obsolesence. :D
They now have HC's that can be rebuilt. Funny ... if you want a new cylinder rod you can't get it either. Thinking about air or back to crank and spring.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Does your old cylinder have any numbers on it? You might try this place for a rebuilt cyl.

http://www.fastline.com/v100/Bale-Compresssion-Cylinder,-Remanufactured,-John-Deere,-AE14824,-AE71196-part-detail-6a6244fa-fd0b-4cc6-8f3a-220681932333.aspxt.

I have never understood how applying more or less pressure to one side or the other on the bale case extensions(parts keys 3 & 21) that are solidly hinged on about 5-6 inch wide hinge points that apply pressure to the center of a already formed bale can cause a banana shaped bale. I was taught banana shaped bales are caused from type of windrow,ground speed,feeding of hay into baler or feeder finger adjustment problems

Attachments

·
5,859 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't really matter. People like to play with it though. What matters is putting the hay evenly in both sides of the chamber at the front.

I have never understood how applying more or less pressure to one side or the other on the bale case extensions(parts keys 3 & 21) that are solidly hinged on about 5-6 inch wide hinge points that apply pressure to the center of a already formed bale can cause a banana shaped bale.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does your old cylinder have any numbers on it? You might try this place for a rebuilt cyl.
http://www.fastline.com/v100/Bale-Compresssion-Cylinder,-Remanufactured,-John-Deere,-AE14824,-AE71196-part-detail-6a6244fa-fd0b-4cc6-8f3a-220681932333.aspxt.

I have never understood how applying more or less pressure to one side or the other on the bale case extensions(parts keys 3 & 21) that are solidly hinged on about 5-6 inch wide hinge points that apply pressure to the center of a already formed bale can cause a banana shaped bale. I was taught banana shaped bales are caused from type of windrow,ground speed,feeding of hay into baler or feeder finger adjustment problems
Couldn't get the fastline link to work.

·
193 Posts
I'd throw a set of springs on it and be done with it. Never cared for the hyd. tension on the deere. The spring is nice after a while as you automatically know where to be for what weight you want depending on type of material and moisture content.

If you stay below 55-60lb bales, the lighter springs are just right. Any heavier weights desired though, and i'd deffinately go to the heavier springs.

·
193 Posts
BOY I'm confused! What heavier springs are you referring to? JD has use 247SE for bale tension springs from models 224-348 with no substitute PN
Springs that come standard on say a 336 are "lighter" duty springs. I'm gonna guess that maybe they were also used on the 337, 327, 338 also, but not sure. Neighbor uses them on his 348 and is still able to make 50 lb. straw bales with them. Claims the heavier springs change weight too drastically with the slightest movement of adjustment. Says he can fine-tune the bale weights better with the lighter duty springs.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Springs that come standard on say a 336 are "lighter" duty springs. I'm gonna guess that maybe they were also used on the 337, 327, 338 also, but not sure. Neighbor uses them on his 348 and is still able to make 50 lb. straw bales with them. Claims the heavier springs change weight too drastically with the slightest movement of adjustment. Says he can fine-tune the bale weights better with the lighter duty springs.
1st I wasn't thinking of the springs for the lighter duty JD sq balers as this thread & my mind was about a 348. 2nd IMHO I think it's a waste of time & money to install 336/337 springs on a 348 when a simple few CCW revolutions of the cranks on the rear of baler will accomplish baling a 50# bale IE the same as lighter springs. Oh well to each their own!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.