Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 530 baler and the hose from the twine pump sprung a leak so no more twining. Of coarse this occurs on a Saturday when I am trying to bale hay and no JD location is open. Anyone know if there is a JD replacement for this hose? Or is this a like a standard power steering pump hose that one of the car parts place might have?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went by NAPA and he was willing to make one but he didn't have that fitting that goes directly in the pump. I also went by Autozone hoping to find a stock power steering pump hose but none of the fittings were of the same size. :(

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can you cut the one fitting out and re-use it on a new hose? Can you cut the hose close to the fitting and then have a series of male/female JIC fittings and some new hose crimped in between (not ideal as you will 6 fittings in a short hose, but it will get you working). Or can you buy a pre-made power steering hose and then crimp a different fitting on the far end? Weld the old fittings to some NPT nipples and have a hose made with female NPT fittings on either end. Lots of possibilities to get a guy up and running.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well went to JD dealer and picked up a new hose this morning, Installed it but not getting any twine arm action. I did as manual says lifting gate to 6 locking and dropping back to 4. Arm does not move even manually. I removed hoses from cylinder to bleed but there is no pressure from either hose. Shouldn't the pump be pushing some fluid out with the hoses loose even if air is in the system?

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Those pumps can be contrary to bleed air from. Sometimes reservoir must be slightly pressurized with air to get ump to pump oil. I suppose you filled pump reservoir. Are you operating pto at 540 rpm's? Have you checked to be sure twine pump linkage has tripped allowing pump belt idler to tighten the pump drive belt. Is hyd valve spool in the upward position. Turn thumbwheel CCW on pump to allow twine tube cylinder more oil flow.

Check this site for my personal message

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TX Jim! Yep...filled reservoir, belt idler is tight and I have messed with the thumbwheel. I haven't done much with pressurizing with air and I will try that next. Not sure how the mechanism in the pump works but you are saying it may need to be pressurized to get the pump to push fluid to the valve? Cuz when I am running the pto I can remove the hoses from the cylinder and nary a drop of fluid comes out.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
What I meant by slightly pressurizing is a small amount of pressure in reservoir can cause it to start pumping while pump shaft is rotating. When hose was R&R did that totally drain reservoir I'll guess yes.? What type oil did you use?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When i first noticed a problem while baling I probably ran the PTO for about 1 minute before I realized the arm wasn't coming around. I stopped the PTO and added some fluid hoping to finish wrapping the bale before dumping it and it worked and I only had to run it for about another 30 seconds. So I am assuming the pump is okay since it started up when I added some fluid. But not since putting new hose on. I have been using JD low viscosity hydraulic fluid in it the last 2 years.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
IIRC JD recommended regular Hy-Gard or power steering oil. Low viscosity oil may be too low viscosity in Texas heat. HOW MUCH FLUID did you have to add to reservoir after R&R of hose???????????????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here we go. Got it working again. I did all you said with the thumbwheel wide open and with PTO at wrapping speed. At first nothing happened and then we shot some air into the pump and nothing. We then loosened the hydraulic lines at the arm cylinder, started the PTO and shot air into the pump and quickly got fluid leaking from the loosened lines with the arm starting to move. Shut off PTO, refilled the pump and tightened up all fittings and all is good. Seems like loosening the hydraulic fittings helped let the air out. TX Jim - your help is always appreciated more than you know!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
You're very welcome.
I'm always glad when my advice helps a person to get operating especially when it's a fellow Texan.

Some JD dealers think parts MSRP aren't HIGH ENOUGH therefore they add some more to the price. I think a lot of the MSRP + added % is created from JD FORCING DEALERS to own multiple locations & eliminating competition between dealers. Oh well it's the price of progress!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts