Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my son to get the used baler I bought from JD dealer and he comes home without the hitch. This baler isn't usable without the hitch from what I can tell. Is this hitch an optional item? I see they sell Cat 2-3 and a Cat 4 version but at $713 for it, I am ticked it didn't come with the baler. I thought I would collect comments from those that have purchased 348s in the past before I raise hell. Don't I have to have one version of this hitch?

Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Cat ll draft link pin in tractor drawbar or pickup rear bumper will safely tow implements that have EA hitch.BTDT many times in the past.
Yes EA hitch adapter similar to parts photo or flat piece of bar with Cat ll hitch pin bolted to tractor drawbar with tractor drawbar hole setting at 14'' from end of tractor pto shaft for 540 rpm operation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thought on the twine box but I looked and it wasn't there. JD Salesmen says he will make it right one way or another. I think they have misplaced it or never got it to begin with. I need it by Tuesday if the weather holds so he needs to order one quickly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cat ll draft link pin in tractor drawbar or pickup rear bumper will safely tow implements that have EA hitch.BTDT many times in the past.
Yes EA hitch adapter similar to parts photo or flat piece of bar with Cat ll hitch pin bolted to tractor drawbar with tractor drawbar hole setting at 14'' from end of tractor pto shaft for 540 rpm operation.
Well, it seems I am going to have to rig something up. JD Dealer is telling me that there are none available right now. I sort of follow your idea. I use flat stock steel so that the round eye of the hitch can slip in between. How thick would the flat stock steel need to be? 1/2 inch? I think you are recommending that I extend the modified hitch 14 inches to make up for the distance the missing hitch would normally take up. Here is what I think I have to do, correct me if I am wrong:

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, I found the fabricated one here on the website and the dimension diagram showing the various widths need between tractor and equipment. I understand now my design might not be as desirable. I may have found a used one though. Too much time for fabrication right now that I don't have.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Only one piece of metal bar is required. 3 pt Cat ll pin should be 8'' from hole in tractor drawbar which means Cat ll pin should be 22'' from end of tractor pto shaft..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that info. Used one may not be available now. If jd can't deliver, I might be back at this solution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, rain has continued to pee on my hay making parade so I have some time to make one. I still don't have an equal angle hitch used or new. I resorted to buying one from JD dealer but so far it hasn't come in and no known arrival date despite originally being told be here the next day.

I am thinking I need to make the one above as it is simple and quick. A few questions though. How thick is the flat bar? 3/4 inch or 1 inch? What is part #4 that looks like a bushing purpose? I assume the big bolt is about 3/4 inch wide?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Bushing designed to remove space between bolt & larger hole in tractor drawbar. Just utilize a larger bolt & no spacer is required if bolt is large enough diameter. I think 1'' thick plate will be sufficent.

·
5,859 Posts
If you don't have steel stock can drill a pair of holes in a 2" ball mount/hitch and bolt it to top of the drawbar in a pinch. Cat 2 pin in the tow hole.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think using flat stock or getting a factory hitch or like the one in the last post would depend on how high your tractor drawbar is. Not a big deal that the baler be level, but you want it close if you have a thrower on it. The last idea you could get one with the right amount of drop and not donate as much to John Deere, just need a drill press for 2 holes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts