Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem where every few bales, i will get two bales connected together by a bunch of hay, and I need to cut them apart with a knife. Cut the hay. the bales are connected in a 6 inch bunch of hay, not the entire bale. What is the cause of this?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check this. How do I do that? I have the operators manual. Is this procedure in there? Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check adjustment. If the knife is dull, how do I sharpen it. This is happening intermittmently.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
If baler was under my supervision I would adjust clearance & I'll bet that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Tx Jim. For this purpose, it IS under your supervision :) right now, and I will do as you suggested. Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim, is this the tolerance adjustment you were talking about? See photo from operator manual. Thank you.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a 24T and when I first brought it, it would do this too. The problem I had is the bales would blow apart going through the kicker. Sharp knives and proper knife gap solved the problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, SwingOak. Is the procedure I included above the right one for knife adjustment? I am pretty new to this, and want to make sure I am adjusting the right thing.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Yes that is the PH & stationary knife clearance that I referred to that if adjusted correctly should stop bales from being joined together by hay stems. Exception would be if the very tops of knives were worn excessively.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Knives don't require to be real sharp just not dull. When sharpening be careful not to get knife hot

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I took a picture of my knife tolerance...see photo looking from back of bale case to front. Clearance is on the right. There is 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of daylight between the stationary knife and plungerhead knife. That seems WAY off. Can I adjust that back to the desired tolerance, or is something else wrong?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Yes there's a large difference between 0.030 & 0.250+(nearly 1/4'') clearance. One might need to install some shims between LH lower wear pad & PH but it's difficult to determine looking at a photo. Plungerhead appears to be lower on flywheel than pickup side BUT photo's can be deceiving. Adjusting bolts(key 18) on bridges(key 15) moves PH knife closer to stationary knife. Increasing number of shims will raise LH side of plungerhead if required.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mega helpful, Jim. Thank you. I assume I need to order the special shims listed on the parts diagram. Is that correct? Anything else I should check? I think I read something about PH guides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can’t tell for sure from your picture but is the plunger knife going past the stationary knife and there’s still that much of a gap? Or is the plunger not all the way to the stationary knife?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Is PH knife & stationery located square with each IE same distance apart at top & bottom of knives???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts