Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looking for a decent (both price and condition) farm truck. prefer 2 door, class 3 or a little higher. found a few online but they seem pricey...likely because dealerships have to have a higher margin. i'd prefer to deal private party. attached a pic of an example that would work great for my needs. msg me if you have or know of something. thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What ever you do don’t buy an International with the IH motor absolutely junk . The company I work for has a couple thousand of them and ain’t one of them that they didn’t have trouble with multiple times. Now the newest ones with the Cummins are a lot better.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,530 Posts
Yes. Do not buy ANYTHING Maxxforce. Money pits, even when deleted.

Reactions: Farmerbrown2

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the heads up. i'd prefer a kodiak 4500 or 5500, but apparently they are made of gold

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,999 Posts
Very true. I'm running trucks with IH engines. Only good ones I ever saw were DT466's. Great motor.
The other Ford/IH diesel engines are good-when they're running. When they're running seems to be not all the time you need them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not opposed to gas. ive got a vortec 8.1 in RV and like it. i prefer 15 year-ish old to get within budget. pulling cattle trailer, equipment trailer and hay trailer would be intended purpose - all gooseneck

started with a 2500, then had a 3500, currently...nothing

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am guessing something 15 years old down there is kind of rusted? Was through Georgia after a blond several years ago, taking in all the trees and didn't see much for iron.

What is your budget and wheel base that you are looking for?

·
Registered
147 Posts
rust isnt a huge problem here as theres no need for salt on the roads. the humidity does wear on things but i'd say way less than salt.

the shorter the wheel base the better. 10ft flat bed or chassis cab will work, not picky in that department. 15-20 year old, mechanically solid and less than $7.5k

blond and trees?? sounds like a **** dog story

·
10,999 Posts
Swall01,

I have been looking at buying a power company digger derrick 4WD chassis and shortening it into a road tractor. I would tow a 35-40' gooseneck behind it.
They have automatics and other nice features, but many do not have a "tractor package".
would like to find out how much it would cost to up-fit one with tractor package so it is fully set up for an air brake trailer.

·
10,999 Posts
JD3430, i dont need the air brakes. shortening wouldnt be a problem for me either. how much do those go for? are 2 cheaper than 1? if so we can make north/south twins out of them
With 4WD, auto & air?

20-45K

Then you'd have to add tractor package since none have them. Some have air to rear and trailer release on the dash, but no 5th wheel or bumper pintle hitch.

Still a lot cheaper than a 70k new diesel pickup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts