Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to another thread I followed advice and tested my brown spots for bugs..

Nothing much came from the dirt but this worm came from the surrounding grass clump at ground level...

I thought they ate the leaves, what ever is causing the spots is at ground level ..

Looking at pics on google me thinks it's armyworms .. am I right??

This is in Fescue hay fields....

I will reread the other thread for a possible treatment if this is in fact what's causing it, I'm headed back to the field with more soap & water now...

Eye Snake Reptile Serpent Terrestrial animal

Pollinator Insect Arthropod Moths and butterflies Larva

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it was, funny I went back to the field and did the same thing, in 5 different spots and looked through the grass and didn't find another armyworm, but I did see these little things..

Brown Wood Natural material Terrestrial plant Twig

Arthropod Insect Wood Twig Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a better pic of the beetle? Don't worry if you a only found a few army worms.....only a problem with an infestation......
Not really, they are a bit small.. while checking the field the brown spots appear to be putting out green sprouts now that we are cooling off some so it may be due to stress as well as some bugs...

I'm going to cut today earlier than I had planned and get ready to reseed these fields in a few weeks..

I'm not going to worry about the worms, I didn't find anymore so maybe a fluke.... all tho I did have lots of
bag worms" in the trees....

Thanks everyone for the info...

Brown Terrestrial plant Wood Grass Groundcover

Attachments

·
66 Posts
SC trail rider ,
Those black bugs look like the Billbugs that killed large patches of my costal Bermuda this summer, it's hard to tell how big your are from the photos you posted, but they look like them. The searing summer of 95-98 every day for 2.5 mons probably made the populations worse this year. ,

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to tell just looking at them also, I will have the hay off today and maybe I can do more checking ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.