Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does it seem like the forum does not have as much participation as it used to. It seem that since the change to the new server and look that it has been going down hill. It just seem like it used to a lot more active before the change.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The forum is dying, there are fewer active regulars.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with Mike in regards to some frequent posters who have disappeared in the last year or two. But what puzzles me is when I am searching and reading old threads from like `12 to `18 or so none of thos guys are around any more. I for one have a lot of learning to do and wish more of them were still around.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well not sure but possibly forums are dying out in general after Facebook and social media took over. What would be nice would to get sponsorship from hay equipment companies that advertise us and vice versa and make a huge network where hay farmers can talk and interact. Majority of farmers tend to stick to themselves and figure stuff out by themselves and the only people they talk to is there clients, neighbors and the folks at the local feed store.

·
Hay Master
5,008 Posts
I spend a lot less time looking at HT over the last two years. I'm not sure why but I think it has a lot to do with covid. I have friends and neighbors that I saw or hung out with several times a week that, nowadays, I haven't seen or talked to in a year. Social distancing destroys our communities and our relationships.

I am very politically active on facebook. After years of not speaking out and not getting involved in politics, I believe I let our country go too far down a very dark path. I am now speaking out loudly about our governmental policies that I believe are totally wrong.

I had a conversation this morning with a gentleman and we agreed that most people just want to be left alone and live their lives quietly and peacefully. I know that was my attitude. But now I am fighting back--I told one of my hay customers this afternoon that I will probably be one of the first people locked up in the concentration...ooops, I mean re-education...camps.

I have always steered away from getting involved in politics and I believe that was a mistake. Now, as much as I don't like it, I am getting involved. I believe we are at war...with a chickensh*t enemy who does not have the courage to confront us directly.

The BS in Washington and the blue states has to stop.

Ralph
Speaking out---loudly!

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
1 censorship

2 same old questions

3 Busy with other things
Yup. And,

4 natural ebb and flow of internet forum users.

Plus haying is not exactly a real mainstream thing. It’s a niche that I think is slowly shrinking.

·
Super Moderator
15,810 Posts
The vast majority are not aware, but Vertical Scope spent months upon months going through the threads on this site and deleting the ones they deemed offensive, politically incorrect, or non-topical to the forums name. They did this right before introduction of the new software. This is why many long term users no longer frequent this site.

Regards, Mike

·
Hay Master
5,008 Posts
The vast majority are not aware, but Vertical Scope spent months upon months going through the threads on this site and deleting the ones they deemed offensive, politically incorrect, or non-topical to the forums name. They did this right before introduction of the new software. This is why many long term users no longer frequent this site.

Regards, Mike
The Boiler room was a way of blowing off steam and frustration. What is the political orientation of Vertical Scope? Who owns them? Who died and made them God?

·
Registered
548 Posts

Regards, Mike
I was NOT aware of this. Now I'm PISSED. You dirty liberal sonsabitches are starting a war and you're going to LOSE.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Regards, Mike
The Boiler room was a way of blowing off steam and frustration. What is the political orientation of Vertical Scope? Who owns them? Who died and made them God?

There was something I went back searching (for a good purpose) one of those politically incorrect that couldn't find -- guess I didn't dream that discussion. When the forum was "going good" I think most of the members kept political differences respectful most of the time. The moderators tried to keep things from getting out of hand without censorship. Not doubt feeling could have been hurt but overall it worked. Knowing how members approached their haying, I could take their political views in the right frame. I miss that. Even if I don't agree with someone, knowing why that have that belief is helpful.

I don't care for the new format, HT seemed more like an extended family in the old format. I don't get involved here as i used too.
As far as the format, the old one was fine with me but I REALLY MISS THE EXTENDED FAMILY. Some members we have become "real world" friends and communicate outside the forum.

Ralph
Speaking out---loudly!
Is there a forum or just your personal social media?

I really wish we had a place to talk about hay and other things that affect our lives. Please direct me if that place exists.

Shelia

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
Vertical Scope is a subsidiary of a media/publishing company in Toronto CAN. VS itself is worth something like a 150 million and owns 1000s of websites.

The Boiler Room no longer functions like it did as it is not a “protected” forum anymore, plus it is emasculated; far as I am concerned it may as well be deleted.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
There was something I went back searching (for a good purpose) one of those politically incorrect that couldn't find -- guess I didn't dream that discussion. When the forum was "going good" I think most of the members kept political differences respectful most of the time. The moderators tried to keep things from getting out of hand without censorship. Not doubt feeling could have been hurt but overall it worked. Knowing how members approached their haying, I could take their political views in the right frame. I miss that. Even if I don't agree with someone, knowing why that have that belief is helpful.

As far as the format, the old one was fine with me but I REALLY MISS THE EXTENDED FAMILY. Some members we have become "real world" friends and communicate outside the forum.

I really wish we had a place to talk about hay and other things that affect our lives. Please direct me if that place exists.

Shelia
You have a PM.

Reactions: RockyHill

·
Hay Master
5,008 Posts

Shelia
I'm active on Facebook, gettr, freetalk45 and at the local bars. My intent is to call the hypocrites on their propaganda and BS. Like New Jersey's latest pro abortion law--up to the moment prior to birth. To me, that's just plain first degree murder. And it's one second away from concentration camps. But, I digress...

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
15,810 Posts
I probably left one thing out that needs to be re-visited. We were flying low(non-existent) until Draft Horse Hay and GOAT sicked the ownership onto us with their liberal low life tactics. Really, it all came down to one individual who pestered VS to death until they decided to do something to stop the squeaky wheel. In the end, I was personally able to ban both of them, but it was basically at the expense of the forum. In order to run a forum today without PC invading it takes two things. You must own the forum and you must not accept advertising monies....or be extremely selective who you let advertise on ones site.

·
Hay Master
5,008 Posts
I hate to say this, but 1) I really don't like the new format--simply because everything is changing too much for me to keep up with (I want some stability and consistency. And 2) I am only one person who spends $1 but I am spending my dollar on those who share my attitudes and beliefs. Example: I used to read the Chicago Tribune, Sun-times, St Louis Post Dispatch and several other sources daily. They have all been bought by one conglomerate and now share the same propagandist BS--I don't read them anymore.

I'm wondering if Vertical Scope is part of that conglomerate?

Ralph

1 - 20 of 47 Posts