Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Seeding is sowing seeds put in soil very shallow with a machine such as a "Brillion seeder" that distributes seed the a roller pushes seed in the soil.. Sprigging requires a machine that digs trenches,distributes sprigs(bermuda roots) in these trenches then covers sprigs & packs soil. Both applications require a good seedbed. The better the seedbed the better the chance for plant emergence & survival.

I've seen people spread sprigs with a manure spreader the go over field with a tandem disk set for shallow penetration.

·
3,917 Posts
Seeding is planting seeds.

Sprigging is planting pieces of the plant.

Both require preparing the ground.

Sprigging is the normal practice to establish the better hybrid varieties of Bermuda grass.

Be careful of the seeded blends. They tend to revert back to the original Bermuda, Common Bermuda, which can be established by seed.

I planted some Cheyenne 2 and I am pleased. It is a seeded variety and is not supposed to revert back to Common. Time will tell.

I have an established field of Alicia Bermuda we planted from clippings many years ago. Absolutely love the Alicia Bermuda.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Before you run out and spend a lot on bigger tractors take a look at Small Farm Innovations in Caldwell, TX. They specialize in small hay operations and have lots of equipment that runs on smaller horsepower tractors. Good folks to deal with also.

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,999 Posts
I think I can do this fairly inexpensively (famous last words, I know) with used equipment. $6-10k buys me any number of 60-80hp decent looking used tractors off craigslist.

I think I can likely turn a profit on this before 5 years, if I do it. I dont plan on buying new equipment.

1) Can anyone point me to some resources on raising hay? Like, if your grass looks like this, it needs that - type of thing? I've never intentionally gotten grass to grow before although I have had the opposite problem in the past :p

2) What kind of mower could I run with a 60 pto hp tractor? I saw a 9 foot disc mower before, would that run it?

3) How does a guy find a not destroyed hay wagon? I used to work for a shop that had a steady stream of them come in for welding, and these things were DESTROYED and had usually already been cobbled together before we got them in. Some were downright scary and many werent worth the firewood value of their rotten decks. Any reason why I couldnt just use a car trailer/utility trailer?

My CPA doest object to this idea - his only advice is things will look better on paper if i do more than 10 acres, which almost goes without saying. Technically I'm not "employed" anywhere, I'm a "contractor" so that might make this whole adventure look better on paper. Thanks guys!
Neither did I 5 years ago. I'm just beginning to pay off some loans I took out on new equipment once I realized you need to be nothing short of a full blown mechanic to take care of inexpensive equipment purchased on Craig's List. Been there, done that.
Once you start selling hay, it becomes addictive. I'm not saying I have any regrets, I'm just saying don't be surprised to find yourself sitting across the desk from a farm equipment salesman getting ready to sign the paperwork for new equipment.
Your success or lack thereof in the first couple years will determine whether or not you expand operations and need more reliable equipment.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,895 Posts
I think I can do this fairly inexpensively (famous last words, I know) with used equipment. $6-10k buys me any number of 60-80hp decent looking used tractors off craigslist.

I think I can likely turn a profit on this before 5 years, if I do it. I dont plan on buying new equipment.

1) Can anyone point me to some resources on raising hay? Like, if your grass looks like this, it needs that - type of thing? I've never intentionally gotten grass to grow before although I have had the opposite problem in the past :p

2) What kind of mower could I run with a 60 pto hp tractor? I saw a 9 foot disc mower before, would that run it?

3) How does a guy find a not destroyed hay wagon? I used to work for a shop that had a steady stream of them come in for welding, and these things were DESTROYED and had usually already been cobbled together before we got them in. Some were downright scary and many werent worth the firewood value of their rotten decks. Any reason why I couldnt just use a car trailer/utility trailer?

My CPA doest object to this idea - his only advice is things will look better on paper if i do more than 10 acres, which almost goes without saying. Technically I'm not "employed" anywhere, I'm a "contractor" so that might make this whole adventure look better on paper. Thanks guys!
I started about 97-98 with junk, and i mean junk. been worn out 2-3 times before I got it. Pulled a baler (NH273) with ground drop with a JD950 (which is why I always recommend against using small tractors for baling). I picked up with a 16' trailer with one-way mobile home axles-I did not know about the disposable axle when I bought, but I got the trailer new with deck for 1K which was cheaper than any wagon I could haul hay on and I could take it down the road for deliveries. Probably ran about 20 ac total in the old neighborhood, spread my own fertilizer etc. Cut with a NH 451 sickle, tedded with a paintless kuhn 3pt, raked with a 55 nh. But, I made a little money each year.

I did not buy my first new thing until 2006-7 when I bought my NH1409 discbine. Over time I bought a JD2240 which cured the under powered 950 on the baler. I did a lot of upgrading with used equipment before my new stuff. I traded the 2240 up to a 2640 before I bought the 1409. It pulled the 1409 fine at 70 pto hp. After the first new piece of equipment I got cured of my latent need for junk and quickly bought new baler and rake. I had replaced 4 bars on the old rake and just about every bearing. It is a lot of juice to drop on metal that you don't know if it will move each spring. That said, the old stuff is surprisingly resilient and you can eke out a lot of use. Lord knows, I got a lifetime of experience growing up with my dad borrowing bolts from the rusted hulk of something in the woods-basically making a pair of pants out of a pair of pants. One of my goals as an adult was to be able to do better, starting with not having 6 kids to feed, cloth and educate.

I started the hay business because I wanted to make high quality hay and I wanted mine cut on time. When you are waiting for Clyde down the road, you never get yours cut on time. The point I got to eventually was you can not consistently make high quality hay with beat up old junk. virtually all my hay was for sale to horse people. you can not survive around here making 20-60 ac worth of hay to cow guys, there is too much junk hay already being made and virtually given away. So, my path forward was clear as soon as I thought I could survive that path economically.--you think you can before you actually can but all my equipment is paid for and I have a decent business as long as my body cooperates.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Seeding is planting actual seed into soil you are sowing. Sprigging is transplanting grass cut from roots into fields much like tobacco.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to admit that I have never heard that $5 word so I had to Google it. Now I am laughing my butt off at how true of a description of a farmer it is. Someone should add that to the wikipedia definition of "farmer"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny this popped up. We've been looking at purchasing a farm/ranch in WY to run a hay/cattle operation. Doing the hay ourselves and leasing out the cattle portion of it. One place with looked at was about 600 acres with about 300 irrigated. I'd have to buy some bigger equipment and a swather because what I currently have will not cut it for 300 acres. But I'm self employed and have a pretty flexible schedule. I know on a year like this year you'd make a killing in WY but other years it seems to be so so with a lot of race to the bottom pricing.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts