Hay & Forage Forum banner
381 - 400 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So good to hear from you. Really don't like it that you couldn't get on here, had been wondering about you. Glad you things are as well with you as they are.

Shelia & Jeff

·
Super Moderator
15,806 Posts
Good to have you back Jim.....I wondered about you. Our software is primitive on this site and until just a few weeks ago, we were having huge problems because of the change the ownership made to Google Cloud.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, New member here! I'm a young guy trying to start cutting hay on my parents' farm. I live and work off-farm, but I absolutely love the rural lifestyle, and I have always had the desire to start a hay operation on the side. I realize the uphill battle I have ahead of me, but am determined to make my dream a reality. Thanks for having me on the site, and I look forward to learning from you all.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Welcome Circle, that desire you have can be addicting (maybe even costly ;)).

Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome Circle, that desire you have can be addicting (maybe even costly ;)).

Larry
Hi Larry, Thanks for the welcome! Haha, for some reason, I can see that being the case! As the saying goes, my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my hay equipment for what i TOLD her it cost :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all, just wanted to stop in and introduce myself before I start asking all the noob questions.

My name is Zach and we recently got into cattle and hay. $30k later we have the needed equipment to start producing our own hay. We will be working 60 acres this year and hope to expand over the next few seasons.

We run a NH T4.75 tractor, Vermeer 5420 baler with net, Sitrex 8 wheel rake, Sitrex 4 basket tedder, and a Kuhn 9' disc mower.

If this rain will let up we might get 1st cutting off before July.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Welcome. A lot of useful information and very nice people on this site. Love the picture very pretty. A lot of people on this site know exactly how you feel with the rain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I can see from looking around that this site is a treasure trove of info for us noobs in the business. I have been reading quite a bit.

Next week looks like we may actually get three straight days of sun, if that's the case I'll be out rolling my first bales. Wish me luck!

PS- Which forum do we go to for emergency field repairs and troubleshooting? :)

·
Super Moderator
15,806 Posts
PS- Which forum do we go to for emergency field repairs and troubleshooting? :)
Either Machinery or Tractor forums. If you have a NH piece of equipment you can look at the "pinned" topic at the top of the Machinery heading.

Or, you can do a internet search for a particular piece of machinery or tractor problem and quite often you will see some responses directly from haytalk listed. Or, you can use the site search box on top right....but it does have a few glitches sometimes.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Either Machinery or Tractor forums. If you have a NH piece of equipment you can look at the "pinned" topic at the top of the Machinery heading.

Or, you can do a internet search for a particular piece of machinery or tractor problem and quite often you will see some responses directly from haytalk listed. Or, you can use the site search box on top right....but it does have a few glitches sometimes.

Regards, Mike
Thanks for the pointers Mike.

Of course I broke a chain on my baler twice on Tuesday. Quick repair and chain adjustment after the second time and I was up and running.

Put 72 bales on the ground over a three day period.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My name is Gary and am located in central Kentucky. Been on a farm most of my life. The family farm was mostly row crops in the western part of the state. Got away from farming for several years, built a career, got married, bought a farm and started learning about forage crops.

My brother and I farm together, me on the forage side, him with row crops and cattle. We cut about 60-80 acres a year (per cutting). Primarily to feed his cattle. When prices started dropping and with a new family growing, the cattle were scaled way back. We are now selling 90% of what we put up and branching out to include small squares to try and maximize the return off this old hill farm.

I've read a great deal of the information available on hay talk over the last 5 years. A great source to pick up some experienced view points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, my name is Carolyn and I know next to nothing about growing hay. I do know my horse needs T&A (b/c he's a TB and eats a lot). My hubby and I just purchased a hay field north of Gainesville, Coastal Bermuda grass hay, and will be eventually building a house and barn. For now, we are lucky to have wonderful neighbors with good contacts regarding maintaining and improving the property.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to HayTalk! These folks are great. Nice, understanding, willing to help, etc. Lots of knowledge here already so search away and you'll likely find everything you need already printed up.

FWIW, I use google to search by doing: haytalk.com (insert search words here)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello my name is David .
If been a lurker for a while and decided I'd better join because I might have some questions to ask. I live in Ontario Canada, North east of Toronto. We are in the horse business but also sell hay and do some custom work. We hay about 400 acres for ourselves, all either by crop share or on rented land. We do two cuts mostly , squeeze in a partial third if possible.We make about 20,000 small squares a year. We do another 600 rounds for ourselves plus what be do for custom work. 75% of our horses get fed haylage/ balege at @ 30 percent moisture. We have been feeding this way for 18 years. We feed close to 450 haylege bales a year . Both in rounds and big squares which we cut custom done.
Looking forward to getting help when I need it.

381 - 400 of 430 Posts