Hay & Forage Forum banner
361 - 380 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome to Hay Talk 51club..like your comment about learning but no idea what you were trying to do. I have gotten to the stage in life where I go to mail a letter, see my keys, go to put them up and realize left the milk out, so stop to put in refrigerator, find a snack in there to eat, go to get me a pepsi (diet) and wonder why the letter I just found had not been mailed.

Well have not that to happen yet but do about the same with repairs, go to buy the parts needed, take to my shop and placed them right where they should be or so I think. Then a couple of weeks or months later I find the parts and have to work to remember what they were for..only upsets me if I have gone back and bought parts again...yep have done that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to Hay Talk 51club..like your comment about learning but no idea what you were trying to do. I have gotten to the stage in life where I go to mail a letter, see my keys, go to put them up and realize left the milk out, so stop to put in refrigerator, find a snack in there to eat, go to get me a pepsi (diet) and wonder why the letter I just found had not been mailed.

Well have not that to happen yet but do about the same with repairs, go to buy the parts needed, take to my shop and placed them right where they should be or so I think. Then a couple of weeks or months later I find the parts and have to work to remember what they were for..only upsets me if I have gone back and bought parts again...yep have done that.
Thanks for the welcome, Palmettokat. That's me all over. I keep telling people that I believe in the hereafter. I'll go in to the tool crib for something, take two steps, and have to stop to try to remember what I came in here after. Mind you, for me to go in the crib is literally turn around and take three steps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really late as I think I have snooped for a year or better but..

I am from western North Carolina, I had the idea after college to make hay on the side. It has been interesting but rewarding. I only make mixed grass hay and pure orchard, mostly squares but roll some that is not up to spec, it has grown into something bigger than expected but i can't seem to say no. I think some of it comes from it is similar to my day job as in working with live goods but it is nice to be my own boss when I'm in the field.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello all, just created an account this week. Young farmer, I just turned 18 last month and my family has no farming background at all. Ive raised animals since I was a kid and moved into doing hay last year. Its been a big learning curve and im grateful for sites like this where everyone chips in to help others out. Im hoping that as the hay starts to pay i can upgrade my old equipment and start renting more land. Just a side business/ hobby for me as I will be a full time college biology/pre-med student starting in the fall. If anyone has any tips for a small time farmer just starting out i appreciate it!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Welcome to Haytalk MIhay, a mixture of academia and rural pursuits can give you the best of two worlds.

Embrace and enjoy both worlds each can be rich and rewarding.

You seem like someone who is not afraid to learn.

Knowledge is a wonderful commodity, if you gain extra knowledge in a day, it is not heavy: you do not get tired carrying knowledge around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi im Dave from central ontario.north of toronto. we are dairy farmers and grow alfalfa beans wheat and corn.my boys are the 6 th generation on our farm.the youngest ,23yrs farms w me and has acustom hay wrapping business.my older son has just started a farm fencing business.i really enjoy reading about guys farming elsewhere.youre never too old to learn.thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Happy thanksgiving to y all south of the border.hope you enjoy friends and family .looking forward to haytalk this winter.I hope paoutdoorsman isnt buried in snow yet. and to somedevildawg,i hope u have apiece of pecan pie for me.lol. ive stopped at Tifton ga many times on our tour to see mickey when my kids were young.im hoping to get my last 20 acres of grain corn off tomorrow.take care fellas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm Jimmy from Iowa. I grew up making bermuda hay with my dad in central Florida. He encouraged me to go see the rest of the country so I went to school in the midwest to become an engineer. My wife and i just bought our first 80 so i'm looking forward to farming hay and row crops in Iowa. Several years ago I created an account here as jcbag just to read about forage in other places. There is a great amount of experience among this forum and i look forward to getting to know everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone.

I used to be Thorim/Jim could not get in for a long time. so I created a new account. for those who remember me it has been a little over a year since my wife passed away from a rare stomach cancer and I wish to thank all of you wonderful and amazing gentlemen and ladies who's out pouring of support helped me through a very rough time in my life... Still living life day to day and it gets a little better with each day.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Nice to hear from you Jim, time passes, the hurting doesn't it seems...………….

To bad about being locked out, have heard of a couple of others with same problem.

Larry

Reactions: Thorim1961
361 - 380 of 441 Posts