Hay & Forage Forum banner
341 - 360 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome Kasey, I hope you continue to find the knowledge base here as informative as I have over the years. The ability to learn from each other is invaluable IMHO.

Larry

Reactions: Tim/South

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone,

Tony from Los Angeles here. New to the industry and I joined Hay Talk hoping to get some information about the Hay industry.

I am currently looking to purchase about 100 tons a month of organic alfalfa hay for export. I think the quantity will increase to 200 to 300 tons per month quickly if I find good+ quality alfalfa hay and also looking to expand to organic oats hay and organic timothy hay. I have been having a lot of difficulties obtaining "true" market price for the organic hay and most importantly I have had problems finding a reputable custom compression service (double compression).

I'll post what I am looking for in the Hay Wanted section.

Nice to meet you all!

Tony

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome Tony, there are some very knowledgeable folks here that may be able to help you with your needs...

·
10,011 Posts
Welcome to haytalk Tony, what's a nice feller like yourself livin in a place like Los Angeles.....I'm purty sure you are the first and only person on haytalk from the big city. Don't be going back thru lookin at old posts, liable to be some mention of LA, San Fran, Oakland and such......not so sure it was flattering either :eek:
Who's buying all of this organic hay and why? Feeding horses I assume....
Not sure on the double press, I would think you're in the right area, but maybe up the road a bit....seems they do a good bit of export in Oregon. Organic hay is most certainly a niche market, but there are people filling the niche.... Good luck and welcome

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to haytalk Tony, what's a nice feller like yourself livin in a place like Los Angeles.....I'm purty sure you are the first and only person on haytalk from the big city. Don't be going back thru lookin at old posts, liable to be some mention of LA, San Fran, Oakland and such......not so sure it was flattering either :eek:
Who's buying all of this organic hay and why? Feeding horses I assume....
Not sure on the double press, I would think you're in the right area, but maybe up the road a bit....seems they do a good bit of export in Oregon. Organic hay is most certainly a niche market, but there are people filling the niche.... Good luck and welcome
Hello SomeDevilDawg,

My ultimate dream is to get out of the big city and get into farming and self-sustainable life. I don't know if that is even possible, but my dream is to own my own ranch one day, have a variety of livestock and run an organic farm. I lived in metropolitan cities all my life - Seoul, Paris, Seattle, New York and now Los Angeles, and I am getting so sick of the city life.

My cousin is an organic dairy farmer out in Korea and he and his collective of farmers are getting sick of the price gouging and lack of organic hay availability. So he asked me to look into a direct import from the US farmers to the Korean farmers and skip all the middlemen in between.

I have some conversation going with a few farmers in Oregon, but it's very difficult to obtain the organic hay at the price that my cousin and his group is looking for. I do receive hay market reports every Friday from Cornell University/USDA market news services and I have an idea of what I need to pay as a fair market value. However, it's been proven very difficult to find a farmer that can supply the quantity. So I am looking outward to the rest of the western states and decided that as long as the RFV meets what we're looking for, I am willing to pay the proper fair market value of the hay. One of the main reasons for reaching out to Hay Talk community is hoping to find someone who would be willing to work with me. :D

I've been searching for the past two months and it really has not gotten me anywhere. If I find a farm that can supply me the hay, then it will cost me more to haul them to a compressor and then to a port, if I find a farm near the coastline, then they already have a contract with existing exporters and can't supply anything for me... It's been frustrating, but I am not giving up. There is bound to be someone out there that I could strike up a long term contract for mutual growth and prosperity.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tony,

What protein and rfv are you looking for? It may be a bit tough to find organic for a few more months, but I may be able to get you the supply as soon as first comes off. I can offer it delivered to Korea if that helps, which port are they closest to?

Feel free to pm me if you want my contact info.

Luke

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI, I'm a new guy here. Born and raised in Southern Alberta where my family ran a mixed farm operation with 300 head of cow calf pairs, raising and selling alfalfa. I spent from 2005-2016 working as an agriculture equipment tech at a large local Case IH dealer. Spent lots of time working n Axial Flow Combine and Bourgault air seeding equipment. I returned home to the family farm one year ago.Hobbies and pastimes include hunting and fishing in our Rocky Mountains and atv riding with the kids. Looking forward to interacting members on this forum

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Billns here I grew up on a farm my father gave up farming when i was 15 and i inherited the farm about 25 years later We have 12 horses a bunch of chickens We cut about 110 round bales and 1000 square every year I never realized until recently how much there was to the art of haying !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shawn Here,

At the moment I am a "when ever someone lets me help" rancher. :) But i am hoping to change that soon. My ultimate goal is to raise Elk and a few other animals and grow as much of the food as i can. Trying to read and learn as much as I can about this business. I am gonna have tons of questions but i'll look around before i start asking repetitive ones. Anyone else on here from the tooele Utah area?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Good morning to all. I grew up on small (very small) animal farm and wife on tobacco farm, many years ago! Mules were still used to some degree on both farms. Do enjoy farming greatly and do farm what is her family farm for the joy and to take care of it. Have worked to get it up to about 38 acres in cultivation and rest of the land here and on what is left of my families is in timber.

For now near twenty years planted row crops some peanuts (for those who are blessed to like boiled peanuts and to know the cry in the tobacco warehouses of years ago) but really corn and soybeans. I have been looking at moving from row crop to hay for about twenty years with no background (unless you county loading with pitch fork onto mule pulled wagon) did not find the support needed. Blessed to have a very good friend who now with a few years experience and the necessary equipment to do all the cutting and baling have taken my first major step and had fifteen acres sprigged with Coastal Bermuda this March. Boy and I thought i was ready!

Finding weed problems did not know we had due to use of roundup ready crops, especially Johnson Grass. My concerns at present are first controlling the Johnson Grass in three month old Coastal. Then storage for the hay. After that will be hay equipment. My first hay equipment I think I need is a system to know where has been sprayed (no rows to count) and system to load the square bales.

Have read a good bit here and really do like Hay Talk. Have read many comments on Johnson Grass and also Guidance systems. Not firm on either of those two issues yet or hay grapple for square bales.

Pray you have a safe and blessed season.

Kenneth

PS: insurance is my full time business mainly in life, health but a few years experience in property insurance. Not in any mode other than recommendation glad to help with any question.

·
10,011 Posts
Welcome to haytalk palmettokat....

Best thing on that johnson is to keep it cut this first year, not a whole lot you can spray for control on a newly sprigged field as I'm sure you are aware....N and lots of it will allow the Bermuda to outcompete the Johnson to some degree this first year. In heavy infestations I have spot sprayed and/or weed wiped....keep it cut.

GPS system are the ticket....any one of them is a huge improvement over foam markers (or watching tracks ) even the most basic of systems will work fine for Bermuda grass hay fields. Might need it here in a bit.....be vigilant for army worms from now until September.

Welcome to haytalk....

·
10,011 Posts
somedevildawg, thank you.
I stumbled across somewhere "impose" would handle it. Have not been able to fully verify it.

Thanks for the warning on army worms.
Your welcome,
Take some pics of this Johnson grass if you get a chance, start a new thread and post to the forum, I have seen vasey grass misidentified many times as johnsongrass, either way it needs to be controlled but methods would differ...good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody. I joined here to read about yet another of my many interests. I live to go to the fair. I like being around anything agricultural, industrial, mechanical, electrical, animals, and more that don't come to mind right now. I used to volunteer at a nearby nature center to help at sugaring time, and with their bees. I'm always willing to learn, even when I can't remember what I was trying to do

341 - 360 of 441 Posts