Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Good evening,

My name is Todd and I'm finishing up the last 5 years in my Navy career. When I finish I will have 30 years and a nice pension. My wife and I would like to move to the New England area, probably New Hampshire, and buy our forever home. I figure since I'm finally retiring, I'm going to do something I've always been interested in and try my hand at small scale farming. I'm looking for around 30 acres and would like to use half of it to grow hay. I'd like to learn as much as possible before hand so I set myself up for success. I'm not looking to make a huge profit, maybe just cover fuel and maintenance costs of the equipment. Any and all advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your service Todd and welcome to Haytalk.....I just have to ask, why New Hampshire? Family? Climate? Seems available land is pricey up there, but I'm sure that's not everywhere....maybe, hopefully?
You hit the nail on the head. Both family and climate. We are looking at other areas including Tennessee but haven't totally locked in on anything yet. Besides those two factors, I also have to look at which states offer the best retirement benefits for military. The pension will be good, but a reduction nonetheless, so we have to do our best to maximize what we will have. To that end, I have begun to accumulate equipment and thus far have gotten two JD 1010s, a 1963 and a 1965. I have plenty of time so I'm hopeful a good deal as far as house & property will come along.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts