Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I am ashamed for all the information that I have borrowed, slolen or just learned from this site.

Best to ask for forgiveness, than for permission, I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier, I have followed this site for 5-6+ years.

I'm Larry, I own about 130a of what remains of the 180a my grandfather bought in 1926. I'm located about 50 miles due North of Detroit and 20 miles East of Flint (yea, the city with the water problem). Most of the area around me has turned into "10a hobby farms".

I presently raise about 85+ acres of alfalfa and 20 beef cows. I used to raise row crops (corn, soybeans, wheat and oats), along with pigs (regular pigs, besides my three sons :lol:.

Aging myself, I quit row crops, when corn was down around $2.00 and I had 3 hungry mouths to feed.

I have an off farm job (milk house), that allows me to buy toys and farm with new (or newer) equipment (now that the boys are grown). The NBD (National Bank of Dad) is closed, however my sons tell their children National Bank of Grandma is open!!!

I plan on working my milk house for a couple of more year (my toy list keeps getting additions).

Thanks to HT, I have increased my hay production, dramatically, going from selling very little, to 3/4's of my annual production, thanks guys/gals.

Hopefully, I can contribute to HT and try to 'pay back' a small portion of the knowledge I have gained over the years from this site.

I feel deeply indebted and grateful for the knowledge that HT members have given me.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Thanks for the kind words from all of us here on haytalk.....gotta ask tho, the r82230....what's that all about, any rhyme or reason?
Somedevildawg, has to do with the business/company I am associated with. In today's world you need an user ID and password for so many things. Then they make you to change them every 90 days :(. R82230 is my number with the company that I am associated with, it is not my user ID however, but I need to enter that number on just about every piece of correspondence I submit to the company. Being I use that number often (daily) it is an easier user ID to use in other places (and usually it is politically correct and nobody else has used it yet). I am up to a five page word document, with the different user ID's and passwords already.

Hard to simplify your life with technology. :lol: I was just talking to one of my sons last night about, thinking about a GPS and how accurate they are. Yet I can remember, widening the front end on my Dad's Ford Jubilee, so the tires were 80 inches apart for planting corn as a kid (40 inch rows at the time, with a two row corn planter, that still sets in my barn).

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome, John, just hang on to those boys, nice dependable labor (notice I didn't say cheap labor, I had 3 of them and could they eat). They will last longer as dependable labor if you can keep the girls away is my experience. :D I have learn A LOT from this site, hope you have the same experience.

Larry

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome Kasey, I hope you continue to find the knowledge base here as informative as I have over the years. The ability to learn from each other is invaluable IMHO.

Larry

Reactions: Tim/South

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Nice to hear from you Jim, time passes, the hurting doesn't it seems...………….

To bad about being locked out, have heard of a couple of others with same problem.

Larry

Reactions: Thorim1961

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome Circle, that desire you have can be addicting (maybe even costly ;)).

Larry

1 - 7 of 8 Posts