Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Google has brought up this site for more hay searching inquiries than I could number. Joined a while back to be able to post a question and have just now found this part of the forum. So, hopefully better late than never.

RockyHill is really Jeff and Shelia from south central Kentucky. Jeff has been farming all his life and has the knowledge; Shelia is the wife who is out there too and uses the internet & keyboard.

We used to raise tobacco, beef cattle, sheep, and hay for our own livestock feed with some custom hay work and sales of extra hay. We've tried to "cut back" to just hay and are doing small squares. Last year (2012) we baled over 11,000 bales and the unfortunate drought that others experienced sold our hay quickly.

You all know what 2013 has been for hay production. Raise oat hay, Timothy, orchardgrass, some fescue, Korean lespedeza (when can afford the seed), and johnsongrass. We use a sickle bar mower conditioner followed by a Agland macerator (reconditioner), ted, ted again, (and sometimes ted again) rake with an 8 wheel carted V-rake, bale with JD 348, pick up with NH 1044 balewagon. This is first year for this balewagon, had been using a Farmhand 8 bale accumulator & grapple.

So now you know that RockyHill is really a married couple I'll be posting from either "Jeff says . . " or Shelia if that is OK.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the production side of hay. Appreciate your volunteering in the fire dept.-- a dangerous job and around where I live they get calls for everything no one else wants to do.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Coondle/Kevin, welcome. Have enjoyed your posts to different topics already, good to hear about you and a perspective from a different continent. Hope you'll post pictures along the way too. Maybe you can host a "Hay Talk" get together at your place, sounds like a lot of folks would be interested in making the trip :) .

Shelia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts