Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
10,011 Posts
Glad to have ya on haytalk, Shane and Chet
My name is Shane. I live in mid michigan. This looks like a great place to learn some tricks if the trade. The wife and i are starting a little haying operation this year. Hope to expand in years to come.
My name is Chet. I grew up on a farm, in a farm community. My wife and I are finally getting to the point we can start planning to buy a small farm. I intend to start small and expand. My goal is to do hay for a living by 50(I'm 34 now). For now, I have a full time job elsewhere, but I am beyond ready to get "back to the farm."

·
10,011 Posts
Google has brought up this site for more hay searching inquiries than I could number. Joined a while back to be able to post a question and have just now found this part of the forum. So, hopefully better late than never.RockyHill is really Jeff and Shelia from south central Kentucky. Jeff has been farming all his life and has the knowledge; Shelia is the wife who is out there too and uses the internet & keyboard.We used to raise tobacco, beef cattle, sheep, and hay for our own livestock feed with some custom hay work and sales of extra hay. We've tried to "cut back" to just hay and are doing small squares. Last year (2012) we baled over 11,000 bales and the unfortunate drought that others experienced sold our hay quickly.You all know what 2013 has been for hay production. Raise oat hay, Timothy, orchardgrass, some fescue, Korean lespedeza (when can afford the seed), and johnsongrass. We use a sickle bar mower conditioner followed by a Agland macerator (reconditioner), ted, ted again, (and sometimes ted again) rake with an 8 wheel carted V-rake, bale with JD 348, pick up with NH 1044 balewagon. This is first year for this balewagon, had been using a Farmhand 8 bale accumulator & grapple.So now you know that RockyHill is really a married couple I'll be posting from either "Jeff says . . " or Shelia if that is OK.
That google is some kinda smart....welcome to haytalk

·
10,011 Posts
Welcome Kristen, good luck with your second half adventure.....I'm sure you're very proud of your son, please give him my gratitude for serving. My father was in the air corps/air force as was a couple of my cousins....great branch of our military as I'm sure you're aware. There's alot of good people from MN on the forum, you can learn alot from their wisdom.....

·
10,011 Posts
Welcome David and my condolences for the loss of your grandfather-in-law....he's part of the greatest generation, we'll never see another quite like em I'm afraid....unbelievable to be still operating a tractor at that age...sounds like hard work on the farm is a blessing in disguise.

Good luck with the farm, I'm sure you've been blessed with copious amounts of rainfall this year, makes hay farming a real challenge....I don't know if I wouldn't think about expanding the herd rather than selling hay....thnk you might get more bang for the buck, just my 02...

Welcome to HT

·
10,011 Posts
Yes, I also would like to go to Australia....and New Zealand.....I sorta still want to go to South Africa and hunt plains game with archery gear, but I am somewhat more reluctant on going there now...Be great to hunt Red Stag in NZ and Buffalo in Australia. And of course, to visit the ag regions and socialize with the people.

Regards, Mike
Me too, but I'll take the Browning .270 win mag thank ya very much.....

·
10,011 Posts
very insightful, thanks...my mother just really lliked the wine ;) she did complain about the length of flight however.

if I do get a chance to make it "down under" I would love to do some fishing at the reef, if they allow it anymore.....I wonder, are the handbags on the endangered species list? if not, I personally think its a good thing to allow for controlled hunts. Thanks for the insight, all we ever get to experience of Australia is "outback steak house" :(

·
10,011 Posts
Howdy Texan 555t, glad to have you as a member of haytalk, lots of folk here from the great state of Texas, good luck with baling the last crop this year, you didn't mention the brand of baler that will be pulled by the MF271, welcome to HT

·
10,011 Posts
Welcome to haytalk....dimillikan, mf fab,and Adrian....

Dimillikan, post your ? In machinery forum....lot of folk don't look in this forum....
Mf fab, them some nice looking spears.....I like the 4 spear for the 3 pt hitch....
Lots of folk here from your neck of the woods Adrian, welcome!

·
10,011 Posts
Hello Travis, I would advise against the plan to help the beau's dad as a source of income.....that's not sustainable in so many respects! But kudos to you for wanting to work....use that education for something other than hay and use the hay as a getaway from your "real" job.....welcome to haytalk Travis, best of luck in your future....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts