Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Hello Richard,
Sure glad that you found us. You sure sound energetic and it looks like you and your dad have some nice equipment. I hope you visit with us frequently and you will find alot of information on this site. We have a very knowledgeable member from up in your country....he goes by swmnhay....get to know him.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Mary must look like the last rose of summer if she is 25, single, and hanging out on the dirt farmer boards.

Disregards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Great to read everyone's backgrounds. My name is Colby and I am a fifth generation farmer in North Eastern Oregon. We farm around 4000 acres and 1500 is alfalfa. The rest is wheat and corn. We also custom harvest another 700 acres of mixed hay. Our alfalfa goes to dairies and cattle feedlots. We use Hesston 3x4 balers, three swathers, 2 hi capacity rakes, and a pro ag 16K bale stacker. I guess it is enough equipment to give me a headache or two in a days time but that is why we love doing it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Take care all and a safe haying season to everyone.
Colby J
Sounds like you for sure know your way around a bale of hay
......welcome Colby....you will really enjoy this site.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Welcome Earl, we have several members from AL and I am certain you will enjoy this site....Tim/South is a frequent poster on this site from AL.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
hello everyone i just found this site through another tractor site. anyway i have a small operation here in ct that was on my familys farm. since its expensive to live around here i have a regular job as a cable splicer at the telephone company although i'm not sure how much longer that will last. we currently bale around 2k small squares/yr sell some and keep some for our herford/belted galloway crosses, we also buy about a dozen wrapped baleage rounds for winter feeding. this yr a local farmer friend sold all his equipment and we took on a couple of his fields and 1 of his custom jobs. i also have a small maple sugaring operation for something to do in the late winter. my equipment is nothing special but we get by just fine with it and slowly upgrade as we can.
Welcome jchay....you will like it here....

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Welcome Randy, we have many members from the show-me state....you have come to the right place for everything haying.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Hello,
My name is Jim, I'm from Oregon. I currently hay about 20 acres as a hobby and to keep our Paint Horses happy. I have been doing Metal Fabrication for 36 years, but I am in the process of selling my interest in the business and plan on purchasing a Farm/Ranch in Central Oregon to raise Hay and start a new career at 56 y/o. I have accumulated a lot of equipment and am lucky enough to try this without going out on a limb financially.
Welcome to HayTalk and congratulations on your 2nd life.....

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Howdy,

My name is Levi. I'm from a very small town on the Kansas, Nebraska line. I raise hay for my families cow herd consisting of primarily of alfalfa and brome hay. I also put up small square bales for several neighbors.

This next spring I am starting a custom haying operation. I have a full time job as a crop consultant, so it won't be a real large scale venture, but hopefully it will keep me busy.

I always have plenty of questions.

Thanks,

Levi
Mighty fine deer hunting in your part of the country Levi.....do you live near Red Cloud? Welcome to haytalk.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
I'm a little ways East of Red Cloud, about an hour. My town is right on the state line where 81 Highway goes through. We've certainly got some great deer hunting here too.

Thanks for the welcome.

Levi
You are North of Belleville Kansas are you not? I have hunted in Republic County Kansas for about 10 years or so.....terrific hunting in your area....I have taken my largest 2 whitetails in that area with archery gear.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Yes, I also would like to go to Australia....and New Zealand.....I sorta still want to go to South Africa and hunt plains game with archery gear, but I am somewhat more reluctant on going there now...Be great to hunt Red Stag in NZ and Buffalo in Australia. And of course, to visit the ag regions and socialize with the people.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Hey guys new here. Looks like a great site. Im from Northwest Pennsylvania and milk 40-50cows and crop 200+acres with my parents. Very interested in learning and helping out others. Use new holland john deere IH and other brand equipment and 5 IH tractors and one john deere.
Sounds like you will fit in here just fine Griffin. Welcome to haytalk....

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Yes, welcome Mark and jump right in on the forums. I always liked that word.....lucerne....it just sounds good.

Regards, Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
Hey everyone. New guy here from Western PA. looking to get into the farming business as I have deep farming roots but have been behind a desk for too many years. Looking to do some produce early on while I build up my hay business but am starting from scratch so any advice on getting started, equipment and insight for the western PA area would be greatly appreciated.
Several PA members here okie....Bgriffith is a very mature and knowledgeable young man in NW PA and SVFHAY a commercial producer is from WPA and several others could be from the Western area as I am not sure of their exact location. Welcome.

Regards, Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts