Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call today from a neighbor. Big storm supposed to hit here Sunday pm into Monday with 20 mph wind and dry snow. Probably in the range of 12-18" by current prognostications. I don't plow snow other than my own but was curious to hear from those who do-how do you charge? This is in the neighborhood so no mob or transport and I will have the blade on for mine anyway. Seems to me the fair thing would be by the hour with an hour minimum. Any thoughts on what that rate should be? Both of the skid steers in the neighborhood that usually do this are down and won't be fixed for this storm. If we get what they are talking about, probably will get other calls. Thanks.

·
1,572 Posts
$100.00 per hour including travel time to job, but not from job!
JMHO, HTH, Dave

Reactions: r82230 and Hayman1

·
1,572 Posts
$100.00 per hour including travel time to job, but not from job!
JMHO, HTH, Dave
Used to average $60.00 per hour, when plowing driveways with a tractor, 35 years ago!

Reactions: Hayman1

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Got a call today from a neighbor. Big storm supposed to hit here Sunday pm into Monday with 20 mph wind and dry snow. Probably in the range of 12-18" by current prognostications. I don't plow snow other than my own but was curious to hear from those who do-how do you charge? This is in the neighborhood so no mob or transport and I will have the blade on for mine anyway. Seems to me the fair thing would be by the hour with an hour minimum. Any thoughts on what that rate should be? Both of the skid steers in the neighborhood that usually do this are down and won't be fixed for this storm. If we get what they are talking about, probably will get other calls. Thanks.
If it's a neighbour you are in good terms with and he could reciprocate in some other way I'd ask for nothing or at most the fuel cost.

·
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a neighbour you are in good terms with and he could reciprocate in some other way I'd ask for nothing or at most the fuel cost.
That used to be my policy but i Would get real popular in the subdivision next door and I don’t need that.

Reactions: Vol

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’d charge $150 an hr. I wouldn’t do a minimum because it’s down the road for you. Maintenance is expensive and inflation as well. I just bought hy guard oil for my tractors and it went up $40 for a 5 gallon pail. The only time I’d plow for less is if they’re in need and can’t afford it so I’d just plow for free.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here in the frozen tundra where everybody has a plow on there truck guys will plow a normal driveway for 25 bucks or a 12 pack of their favorite brew. I've never bothered plowing for anybody as there is zero profit in it, hit one hidden object and bend/break something and you went backwards real fast.

·
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Hayman1 What did you end up with down there? You're probably over in that subdivision getting popular right about now... 😜😜
Well, just finished mine. Haven't busted a paddock yet for the horses, they are staying in today. How much depended on when you measured. I am guessing we had around 6 or so gross. Then sleet, freezing rain that put a real crust on the top. at 240 # I have to work to break through or I wipe out. Really unpleasant to walk around in. Haven't gotten to the subdivision yet but there is no sign of life outside of the human variety other than here on our farm. One deuce and a half exmilitary truck with plow rumbled down the road plowing on contract. Tough plowing as you have to cut it out without cutting all your gravel which is a challenge. Really glad to have a heated cab today. Wind chills in singles.

Reactions: Markpnw

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, just finished mine. Haven't busted a paddock yet for the horses, they are staying in today. How much depended on when you measured. I am guessing we had around 6 or so gross. Then sleet, freezing rain that put a real crust on the top. at 240 # I have to work to break through or I wipe out. Really unpleasant to walk around in. Haven't gotten to the subdivision yet but there is no sign of life outside of the human variety other than here on our farm. One deuce and a half exmilitary truck with plow rumbled down the road plowing on contract. Tough plowing as you have to cut it out without cutting all your gravel which is a challenge. Really glad to have a heated cab today. Wind chills in singles.
Makes our 31 this morning feel like a hear wave!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts