Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
They say you’re a man of vision....
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clearing fence lines and overgrown trees by the creek, need a decent sized dozer for the stumps. I really don’t know anything about dozers other than I supposedly want a 6-way blade. Won’t rack up tons of hours, figure I’ll clear what I need done, then resell it

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,895 Posts
Unless the cat has a ripper, a good sized track hoe with a thumb and shank is more economical/faster. Cleared lots of stumps up here. Much easier around creeks and banks too.
Spot on and cheaper maintenance. Stack, I figured there would only be one that suited you, an Allis HD 21

·
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spot on and cheaper maintenance. Stack, I figured there would only be one that suited you, an Allis HD 21
My old AGCO field rep from North Dakota owns an HD21. It is a massive beast. There is a larger one yet, an HD41. Has to be hauled in pieces, overweight otherwise.

·
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the cat has a ripper, a good sized track hoe with a thumb and shank is more economical/faster. Cleared lots of stumps up here. Much easier around creeks and banks too.
I guess I never thought of a track hoe. I don't know a thing about them either, can you enlighten me?

·
5,710 Posts
Track hoe / excavator works wonders clearing fence lines. It's not under a ton of load and travels a lot less so chains/sprockets don't wear as fast as a dozer. There is more hose maintenance but so handy.

We rented a 15 ton JD for a winter, I think a 20 ton+ would be better in really big stumps. Up to a pretty good size tree the 15 ton could push over removing the stump in one go. Without the tree for a lever stumps were more of a challenge for it.

·
Hay Master
1,863 Posts
I guess I never thought of a track hoe. I don't know a thing about them either, can you enlighten me?
A guy can get by with a smaller sized hoe ie 200, 220) but really you won't save any money. A 270 (25 ton) sized hoe is just about right in my opinion. They are heavy enough that you can do whatever you might dream up without getting slid around much. Big enough to pack big trees to pile them and will get serious on the roots. They are usually a bargain too because they are a little bigger then contractor size. Thumb is a must have but it does not have to be hyd. Hitachi, Komatsu, Volvo, Deere, Cat all good machines but a QC attachment is real handy. Take an experienced operator along to demo the machine and he will know if its a good runner.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you have ever ran a backhoe, a trackhoe is nearly identical in range of motion except on tracks. An excavator makes it better, more range of movement like rotating belly and larger ones are a heckuva lot stronger.

Bulldozers are good for 2 things, pushing and pulling. I vote renting an excavator because it makes short work digging up trees. There are mulching attachments available as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We used a trackhoe last year to clean up fence rows and field edges. I have used a trackhoe, track loader and a dozer with six way blade. I rank them in that order for speed, ease of operating, and ability to get the job done. I was not impressed with the dozer.

·
29 Posts
IMHO, an excavator is more versatile than a dozer. I have smaller equipment (JD350 dozer and Cat E70b excavator) mainly because they are easier for me to haul to various locations. I use the dozer to level and push dirt and that is about it. To remove stumps, I would definitely use the excavator, mine has a hydraulic thumb. You could then use the excavator to either bury or load the stumps and debris and haul to another location for disposal. Also with the excavator you could pull fence posts and in softer ground you can set fence posts. You can also remove rocks, knock down trees, set culverts, lift things into a truck, clean irrigation ditches, load dirt into a truck and install underground utilities.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,598 Posts
Another vote for an excavator . . .

Reactions: IHCman

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you're going to skid logs on steep ground get a dozer. They can push, pull and handle steep ground. Undercarriage is expensive when it needs "a set of tires". 6 way blades won't take the abuse, like catching a stump with the corner, that a straight blade or tilt will. Around here you see armored (guards everywhere, heavy belly pans, wire cage on back and sides of an OROPs) cats with a winch on back and a single cylinder tilt blade on the front set up for logging. A pin on brush rake for clean up.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have watched several excavator operators stump land, if their is a couple feet of stump above ground they would grab it and pull up while rocking it around, pluck it right out of the ground, then throw it around to remove the dirt, fill the hole and move or just rotate to the next one..

A dozer makes a big mess and needs a lot of work to smooth things out later..

Around here a mid sized can be rented for around 750 a week and they transport it...

·
5,710 Posts
Yes that ability to drop the stump or shake it to get dirt out makes for much cleaner burn piles too.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
If your fence rows are anything like mine, an excavator gets extra points.

My fence rows seem to also contain rocks that have grown & reproduced over the years. :cool: Seems an excavator can bury those stones (and their relatives) deeper/quicker than a dozer by far.

Now, after you have removed/buried the stuff, a dozer would be handy to level. I good operator can level with an excavator, but a dozer shines at this task better. Havoc, has a good setup, IMHO.

Larry

·
Registered
440 Posts
I will add this to all the excellent posts;

Unless you have a Ton of fence row to clear you are better off paying someone in the excvation business to do the work (no not me, I'm an engineer).

A dozer or excavator require a considerable amount of maintenence even if they do not break down, which they surely will. And they are Not cheap to maintain and keep fed. There were days I used $300 in fuel, and this was back when offroad diesel was less that $1.30/gl. I am sure the larger machines use Way more than this.

I used to have a D5 for the same reason you want one. As others have said it would usually do OK on standing trees but it can get real sketchy pushing a big tree. We had a lot of land cleared with a feller/buncher which does not leave much stump. It took way too long to dig out the bigger stumps. I ended up hiring an excavator and operator to dig and I pushed.

There are just lots and lots of moving, mechanical and hydraulic parts. Something is going to fail even with the best of operators.

As others have also said, stumps and six way blades do not play nicely together. That is not what a six way is intended for.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Another vote for excavator seems like your farm is big enough they have a ton of uses clearing fence lines, cleaning ditches, fixing tile. They work well for getting equipment unstuck you can just chain to the bucket and pull nice and steady and you can dig out a little if needed. We have a few guys around here that have their own. One bought a real big one at an auction one time had it hauled to his farm now he just drive it where ever he needs it because his land all connects. They even use it to clean their manure pit now because they cant get in the pit with bigger spreaders to get the solids. Another person has a smaller one which is very handy but sometimes they wish it was a little bigger for some jobs.

·
5,710 Posts
Oh good point on manure, we had one in fixing water lines one day while I was spreading manure. He said he had an extra hour, cleaned out the sheds and pens in no time and loaded me over the fence every time I swung by. Fastest that job has ever been done.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts