Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was given a NH 68 baler today. Guy had left hay in it when he pulled it outside a couple years ago. Rest of the baler seems in pretty good shape. Has brand new tires and wheels on it. I think the chamber is too far gone to save. How about you fellas?
Wood Road surface Bedrock Grass Tints and shades
Wood Automotive tire Trunk Tints and shades Composite material
Wood Automotive tire Stairs Tints and shades Water
Wood Road surface Bedrock Grass Tints and shades

Wood Automotive tire Stairs Tints and shades Water

Wood Automotive tire Trunk Tints and shades Composite material

· Registered
New Holland 68 John Deere 640
7 Posts
Pretty ugly. If the chamber looks like that most of the nuts and bolts will be frozen beyond restoration. Salvage the parts and find one without the deep rust to rebuild. I'm putting one together now and it's been a lot of work with a solid starter baler and a complete donor.

· Registered
182 Posts
I think bale skis would work also.. but depending on how much $$ you want to stick into the baler it may or may not be worth it.. Skis are going to run you ballpark $1000 ..could likely be removed installed in a different NH baler if you change in the future.. I'd ask if you call them

Theres a couple threads on here about bale skis for a little light readying.. I installed them in my baler last year and I've seen enough to be a fan.. just my opinion

· Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,318 Posts
People who leave balers outside with hay in them don’t have any respect for equipment. at a minimum the hay should have been removed, oil sprayed on the chamber, and tarped if storage wasn’t available. the machine was likely never properly maintained

Reactions: Hayjosh

· Registered
5,569 Posts
Swap out the top and bottom rail for used ones and knock the flakes off of the sides to see where you actually stand. Skiis would work, but some bent steel would too. About anything is salvageable with a little creativity.

I’m not going to be as pessimistic as the others about it generally and wouldn’t consider it a lack of maintenance if they left it outside knowing they were never going to use it again. It could easily have been maintained up to that point.

5,757 Posts
Similarly a friend ran a baler in similar condition, worked ok once sorted out some knotter issues and worn out sprockets. He also bought a 336 in similar shape but the knotter was destroyed, sold it off for parts, not economical to repair.

· Registered
1,517 Posts
I’d pass on it. Even though it was free, equipment like that will still cost you time and money that you could otherwise be putting towards other equipment you’ve already indicated you want to get anyway, like another baler.

you could always sell it to somebody who needs a parts baler for 68. Those parts are getting more and more difficult to find. Even if you sold it for three or 500 bucks you’re still that money ahead.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree anything can be fixed. My so. Is checking he thinks one of his buddies has an old NH baler sitting out behind a shed might be able to cut the sides of the bale chamber out and fix it. But honestly I figured it was dragging home. It was about 5 miles from home and the tires and wheels were out on the summer before the guy quit using it. They put everything into crops and pulled the baler outside to make room for combine headers. It has a box of new pickup teeth in the twine box. Might keep it for a bit to see if he gets a better NH not sure how much would interchange. And maybe someone can use some parts of it. I will say I have a hard time sending stuff to the scrap man. I’d like to get all the good out of it even if it’s tearing it apart for parts. I’m pretty sure the one wheel will fit his 56 rake so it would be a good spare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts