Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got 8.5 inches of rain on Saturday. I went outside to do chores and there were Canadian Geese swimming in the hayfield. Here's some pics.
Looking at the west hayfield.

Out the Front door at 7:00
Couple of misc. pics

·
Hay Master
842 Posts
No rain here, but the wind took its toll. We have damage to one pole barn and had one hoop barn destroyed. Fortunately the 6,000 bales of hay in it didn't get rained on. Spent all day Monday moving hay. Insurance adjuster comes today, so I hope that goes well. Just got our power on last night at 8.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohiohay, how strong of winds did you get there? I have heard from a couple guys out your way how they were getting 75 mph winds.

BFENCE,

I take it you guys are still pretty dry there?
You should have said something, I would have turned the fan on and pointed it to the south. We had so much rain here that one of the drainage ditches north of me overflowed and broke.

·
Hay Master
490 Posts
You know its been so long since it rained i had a dream it rained last night. I would say if your dreaming about rain its serious( lol) . On a more serious note yes its dry, very dry , worse than last year and i didnt think that was possible ,but like you all know we all have to take our turn. You know it makes you think, if you can make money in this weather, i feel like if i can get 5 good years i can retire (LOL)
Sold my last load of hay tonight, alfafa small square bale 700 a time ill keep the rounds for my self. yall have good night THANKS THOMAS

·
Hay Master
842 Posts

The highest I have heard of so far in Holmes county is 92 mph. The neighbor has a device and it clocked 76mph. Lots of buildings down around here. Several trees. Some people still don't have power. We need rain, but was glad it didn't with Ike as 6,000 squares and 75 rounds were uncovered when the building went.

Tim

·
94 Posts
Nice pictures 4020, those really are some beautiful fields you have there. Hopefully the water that was on them drains of quickly and doesn't impact your hay.

Chet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chetlenox said:
Nice pictures 4020, those really are some beautiful fields you have there. Hopefully the water that was on them drains of quickly and doesn't impact your hay.

Chet.
It didn't seem to affect ti too much, there are still a couple spots with water standing in them, but they are no longer submerged. The water drained off after 2 days. There is about 1/2 of the east field that is is firm enough to cut. The rest of the field is a little soft, and still has water in places. Otherwise, most of it is almost ready to cut. Also with this rain came tile holes. We had 5 to fix today.

·
94 Posts
Good deal. I know for the grass that most of us grow down here in Texas (Coastal Bermuda) it is very robust to flooding. When we get 3-5 inches at a time, about half my pasture goes underwater, sometimes for as much as a day or two. Then it's wet for a good couple of days. The typical response from the Coastal is to start growing like gangbusters! Now I do have to wait for the ground to harden back up before I get out in the field, but with my heavy clay soil and the hot Texas sun, it doesn't seem to take very long.

Now last year we had a wicked Army worm breakout right after a heavy-rain flood, so that was a bummer. Wiped out my 4th cutting. I can't guarantee those little buggers floated in on the flood-waters, but the timing was right and the guys at A&M said it was definitely possible.

Chet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts