Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, they got me. Bought a JD 330 round baler at Roeder Auction in Kentucky for $2800. Looked like a good machine and was supposed to ready to go. I get it home and start looking it over real good, and it still looked great. While I was eating dinner I just kept thinking something was odd about a groove worn in one of the belts. I went back outside and climed over the top and looked down in to find one of the idler rollers completely busted, no...shattered on the end. Craziest thing. That does not seem like an easy piece to accomplish that on. Worst part, I can't find a used one. New ones are $660. All State Ag Parts sent me one, but they sent the wrong one and told me they didn't have the actual correct one in available. Where on Earth can I try to find another used AE52184 roller?
Wood Composite material Gas Tints and shades Flooring

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I had called this guy this year about a baler roll (somewhat bulkier than yours) and his price was great but shipping on the bigger diameter roll was going to ruin the deal. Maybe give him a shot if yours is any easier to ship.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Green Motor vehicle

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,926 Posts
Good machinist could make one.

Reactions: Hay diddle diddle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took measurments but its odd sized and its hardened steel or cast iron. Probably make a piece of 3.5" schedule 40 steel pipe work if you could get the ends bored out to 3.15". The original is actually 2 half pipes welded together long ways.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,926 Posts
There may be a cast insert in the end, but the rest will be regular steel. Just a matter of reverse engineering and remembering that those rollers are highly stressed in operation, and that Deere didn’t always make them heavy enough. Although that one looks like it fell victim to a bearing failure. Were I to build one, I would start with regular pipe of the appropriate size, and order it new from a reputable source that knew exactly what the specs on the steel were.

Reactions: 8350HiTech

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well something definately poo pood it, but regular low carbon structural steel doesn't shatter like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And also, I priced some steel pipe for this application and by the time I bought it, had it machined out and ready to install I'd be right at new JD parts price. Pipe is expensive.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,926 Posts
Well something definately poo pood it, but regular low carbon structural steel doesn't shatter like that.
It does, when it is a rotating element. I’ve seen it happen.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've got one, a neighbor sold me all his spare parts when he retired. Check with T&H salvage in Pavo GA 229-859-2643 they have a bunch of burnt balers. There close to moultrie.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
And also, I priced some steel pipe for this application and by the time I bought it, had it machined out and ready to install I'd be right at new JD parts price. Pipe is expensive.
And many locations within the baler models. I would think any salvage yard would have many useable one available . I even have one kicking around waiting to be used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts