Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update have the radiator out and blew gunk out. It was nasty down there. Now I have to find a 1 1/4 and 1 inch flare nut wrench to undue the two lines on the side that you can't get an open wrench in the space. Then I will figure how to get the pump out. :angry:

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Best tool for me is the phone to make an appointment and a trailer to haul it to the dealer
Do that here and it might come back in worse condition then when it left.

Does anyone know what is involved in replacing the hydraulic pump on a John Deere 4440? It is leaking on top between the pump and the selector.

attachicon.gif
20170314_152712_Burst01.jpg

attachicon.gif
20170314_152644_Burst01.jpg
Looking at your last picture I would start with removing the loader and the hood.

gradyjohn

It's not too late to cut some angle irons to set on boom cyl rods held in place by rad hose clamps on each side to provide safety stops for repairman's protection from possible falling FEL boom!!!!!!.
That would make me nervous working like that. Maybe its chained up some how.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Do that here and it might come back in worse condition then when it left.

Looking at your last picture I would start with removing the loader and the hood.

That would make me nervous working like that. Maybe its chained up some how.
The loader is blocked up. Just need a 1 1/4 flare nut wrench and a 1 inch flare nut wrench. They are on the lines on the left and right.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.

I have got a 1/2 inch drive crowsfoot 12pt 1 1/4. That will take care of the left side line. I should receive a 1" hydraulic line wrench Monday or Tuesday. Talked to another JD person and they said I had to raise the fuel tank to get the pump out. I have run out of time on spring break. As a side note I took the radiator to a repair shop because the side pieces were loose. They will fix that and check it out. Hope to have is all back together by hay season. Say a mayfly last night ... hay season might come early in N Texas.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Looks pretty much like our JD400 and JD401C. Inspect the coupler closely while it's out, never easier to replace than now.

Reactions: carcajou

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
There are some differences though, the bushings can be changed on our loader without pulling the radiator or anything else, it ain't easy. If its near the shop when they need changed its just as easy to pull the radiator, if out in the field leave the radiator in and work by feel. Since installing a new pulley on the front of the 400 haven't had one go out yet, the old pulley just ate em up pretty regular.

Reactions: Vol

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are some differences though, the bushings can be changed on our loader without pulling the radiator or anything else, it ain't easy. If its near the shop when they need changed its just as easy to pull the radiator, if out in the field leave the radiator in and work by feel. Since installing a new pulley on the front of the 400 haven't had one go out yet, the old pulley just ate em up pretty regular.
Yep I normally change them with the radiator in but now it is a piece of cake with the radiator and all the other stuff removed. I changed the damper a while back but they still wear out over a period of time.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I finely got it out and at the JD dealer.

This is my comments if someone else has to do this.

1. Remove the fuel tank and the radiator. I had to jack the fuel tank up about 5 inches to get the pump out. I also had to remove the the fittings on the left and right and turn it 1/4 turn to wrestle it out."

2 Be able to have it inside where the wind won't be a problem

3 An "A" Frame would be great.

4 Get the proper wrenches for the left line and the right line. I spent $50 for a 1 1/4" crows foot for the left line and finally was able to remove it with a small pipe wrench because the crows foot slipped. The 1" hydraulic line wrench worked great ... could not find a 1 1/4".

5 Have another person to help you especially when you take it out ... damn thing is heavy.

6 Removing the loader may or not be good. My cylinders need reworking so raising and blocking it up was the best. If is is a quick tac and you have a A frame remove it.

That is all I can think of right now ... can't wait to put it back in. :huh: :huh: :huh:

PS. I will remove the fuel tank before reinstalling.

·
609 Posts
Before you spend a lot of money with your John Deere dealer , call Kin Tech Indutries 573 332 7700. I have bought several rebuilt pumps from them and they are usually way cheaper than having one rebuilt. I just got 1 for our 4430 and it was around $700. Great people to deal with.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Before you spend a lot of money with your John Deere dealer , call Kin Tech Indutries 573 332 7700. I have bought several rebuilt pumps from them and they are usually way cheaper than having one rebuilt. I just got 1 for our 4430 and it was around $700. Great people to deal with.
I already committed and they have my pump working on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.