Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Plant Vehicle Wood Grass Landscape

Get you one of these along with gopher bait and you will knock them out almost overnight. I will run horizontal and vertical tunnels every 100 feet or so like in a grid and two runs around the perimeter of the field. I usually put out bait once a year in late winter when they become active and don't usually see anymore activity for 6 months or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bought mine about 3 years ago and was about $1300 so a little pricey but worth every penny. I buy 5 gallon buckets of treated seed which will cover about 15 acres depending how close your grid lines are. The lower pipe will create a tunnel underground and drop the arsenic seed in the tunnel. You do have to be sure and adjust the depth correctly so your tunnels are parallel to ground level otherwise the tunnel will cave in behind you as you go which defeats the purpose.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a few 5 gallon buckets of Martins Gopher Bait 50

I cant seem to find anything in the manufacture documents/manuals to makes reference to the application centerline widths, how far apart the rows of application are.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tried to use the 3 point hitch "gopher machine" yesterday,

i cant seem to get the "torpedo" to go more than an inch or two into the ground,

attempted both 50 hp tractor an 90 hp tractor with arms position all the way down,

also tried "third pin" fully extended and retracted, (for varying torpedo angle.)

maybe the seed is suppose to be laid in the top 1-2" of top soil?

i dont know how i got stuckon the idea that it needs to be 6" depth or thereabouts.

any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The tube at the bottom of the shank needs to be close the the same depth at the gopher tunnels. The soil needs to be soft enough to get it buried and the wheels at the rear need to be on top, being driven by contact with the ridge of dirt. The height of the wheels will dictate the depth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts