Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started working as a sheperd about a month ago. I was told to keep the sheep in an unfenced plot, and the nearby plots belong to someone else.

What I currently do is run around the sheep, which works for about two hours before half the sheep go to one edge of the field, the other to another edge.

The herd is about 200 sheep and I can not run fast enough to be in both places at once. I was not supplied with a dog. The flock owner seems comfident this is possible, but does not explain how.

What would you do in my place? Any advice?

5,736 Posts
20 riled up sheep are almost impossible to herd on your own unless it’s a huge area they are free to roam in. We use atv and dogs if they get out.

I can’t see how one person can do 200 on their own unless on thousands of acres.

· Registered
352 Posts
I started working as a sheperd about a month ago. I was told to keep the sheep in an unfenced plot, and the nearby plots belong to someone else.

What I currently do is run around the sheep, which works for about two hours before half the sheep go to one edge of the field, the other to another edge.

The herd is about 200 sheep and I can not run fast enough to be in both places at once. I was not supplied with a dog. The flock owner seems comfident this is possible, but does not explain how.

Shalom! I’m quite amazed running 200 sheep without fence. The only sheep grazed without a fence That I know of are ones that graze large national forest lands. They have 2 dogs and shepherds per 1000 sheep who watch after them. I’m not sure how sheep do with poly wire but I’d try it out. It’s not that expensive and easy to install.

· Registered
438 Posts
Still several old sheep bands here 24/7 herder and up to 6 or 8 dogs. When feed is harder to find they poly mesh fence on the road side. But could end real soon as government is think they need to pay overtime for more than 8 hours a day.

· Registered
3 Posts

I see your from Israel an I suppose thy do that over there I've been working with sheep most my life ge main thing I can say is keep your flock calm and have them get to know you sheep can recognize your face and voice if thy hear you thy shouldn't run off of you'll treat them good lead em to green pasture and living water

1 - 6 of 6 Posts