Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Hay Master
199 Posts
We have had a hay wagon in the past but recently bought a bale bandit hoping that it will be a lot easier. its got real hard to find anyone who wants to work and haul little squares anymore.

·
13 Posts
I prefer my Hydra-bed. I can haul 2 large round or square bales on the back of my pickup and get them from the field to the house in a fraction of the time with nothing but the truck with the hydra-bed as equipment. It's the best piece of equipment that I own!

·
53 Posts
We use a Freeman 6000 balewagon for the flat ground. On the hills we pull a sled type buncher behind the baler and load trailers with a ASV skidsteer with a squeeze and unload by hand. The squeeze and trailer combo is a little faster as the trailer will haul 144 bales and the freeman will only hold 48 but cycle time is a bit faster.

-rsc

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Used to use a thrower and flat racks when we were milking cows, the bigger ones could hold about 325. Could put up at least three thousand bales a day with enough help and good weather. Then went to thrower wagons, could get about 250 in one of those with a good operator on the baler. Went to round bales and use a JD 401C, carry one on back with the three point and two on front. Stack two at a time on the trucks as well. Once I get enough parts collected, plan on building something similar to a Highline to roadside all the bales.

·
189 Posts
NH 1048 for the small squares and occasionally use a Steffen's Hay handler as well.
For the 4x4's we use a loader w/ bale forks and semi as well as a Hauser Built retriever mounted on a Chev. Kodiak chassis which can haul 6 4x4's per load. The retriever works great because I only need a loader on one end of the sequence and it is a quick and agile machine compared to the semi. The semi obviously hauls more bales (24) per load but the bales per hour are about the same between the two setups (and the semi requires a loader on each end of the cycle which is hard with only one loader). We also use an accumulator on the big baler and drop everything on the ends of the field so traffic in the field itself is minimized during the loading/ hauling process. Hate seeing those wheel tracks during the next cutting:(!
Once we are done raking for the morning that guy can jump on the loader and run around and assemble stacks of 6 bales for the retriever while we are still baling. When we are done baling for the morning we jump in the trucks and get everything moved off the field as quickly as possible so we can start the water up right away. In our country (Southern Idaho desert) quicker water = more ton's per cutting.
Would love to have a Stinger but $$$$ don't work out for me at our scale.
The Hauser Built retriever is a quality outfit that's built like a tank and a great tool for us as we can move either size bale, short or long distances depending on need and it's only 1/4 the cost of a Stinger. Also Kevin Hauser is a great guy to work with as well.

·
Hay Master
124 Posts
Started the old fasion way, blood, sweat , and alot of complaining. The crew threatened to quit unless I did something. So here is my solution.

The crew still complains but the threats of having to do hay myself have stopped.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.