Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,912 Posts
Most owners unable to afford to feed their horses simply abandon them. That has been a growing problem since the facilities to slaughter horses for human consumption were closed on'08.
Abandoned horses are hard to trace and the owners are not found and held accountable. Most rescues have been full for some time now.
Those who keep their horses are the ones who get in trouble. Times are tough for many horse owners and much tougher for their horses.
I imagine the hay shortage did place a tighter bind on an already tough situation.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Damned dirty, greedy hay growers. Dont you know you are supposed to sell your hay for what they can afford to pay. i have "wannabe" cattle farmers wh are having the same problem. Real farmers figure it out before it comes to this.
Yup. Buyers never seem to ever figure in cost of production. If you have less hay to sell, then it MUST sell for more to make up for lack of volume considering most producers fixed expenses like fuel and fertilizer went up regardless of the lack of rain.

·
Hay Master
2,008 Posts
In the few weeks, I've been offered 4 horses from different hay buyers. I'm assuming they got it in the spring for the kids, made it through the summer grazing it in their back yard, didn't have the sense to put down rye grass and now they need round bales to feed it. The kids are at school, the animal has never seen a farrier, much less a vet. They have just realized that it runs through a round bale pretty quick, wastes much of it, and have added up what it will cost to feed it over the winter. I keep my gates locked so the damn things don't wander in during the night

·
3,912 Posts
I have them tell me they are giving their horses to me, not ask.

A friend and wife went on a trail ride in the local National Forrest. There is a section designated for horses (no 4 wheelers).
When they returned from their ride there were 3 horses loaded and tied in their trailer. Not a soul in sight.
Another aquantance in Missouri has shot 7 horses that were "donated" to his pastures.

Horses are a dime a dozen. Newbies buy them not knowing the cost of upkeep is high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.