Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am just in the process of setting up a farm and I am trying to figure out how to make it all work without having to purchase too many new pieces of equipment. We want to put up winter feed for about 100 beef cattle and would prefer working with dry hay, but have lost a lot of hay already this year due to rain.

I run a JD 5425 tractor with 65 ponies at the PTO and the terrain I farm is quite hilly. I've been looking at a number of 4X5 round balers (probably new) and I am scratching my head trying to figure out all of the options and whether or not the 5425 will handle it. Any insights that you may have on the following questions would be helpful and thanks in advance.

1) The local Krone dealer suggested that I don't have the HP for a V1500 (although the rotor cutter spec says 50 hp online) and also suggested that plugging is a problem with feed rotor option. (He wanted to sell me a MF 2946 instead - seems like it is built too light for up to 50% silage baling). Is plugging a common issue with feed rotors? Do you think I could run a V1500 with a JD 5425?

2) The Kubota BV4160 is rated for 55 hp, but I can't find any reviews on it - is this a decent baler?

3) The Kuhn 2160 open throat requires a minimum of 55 hp (75 hp recommended), but they recommend the optifeed for moist-baling which requires 65 hp min (recommend 85hp). Could I bale material with 50% moisture in the open throat?

4) The NH 7060 silage baler is rated for 65 hp, but the dealer thought I'd have to watch my tractor like a hawk to not overheat it.

Any insight on these or any other balers would be most useful.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I pulled a br740a, almost the same baler as a 7060 with a 65 hp tractor. Rear tires are loaded and the tractor is still too light on hills. Tractor has enough HP for dry hay but not enough for silage.

Some of the older NH balers took less HP. Look at a 650, 640,648,644. One of those would do well.

·
109 Posts
Something to consider is not only the power but also the weight. I run my 459 Deere behind a 2090 case with loaded tires and that baler with a full bale at 20% maybe 25% will shove on my tractor on hills and its a almost 15k tractor. Can't comment much on power to run one on flat ground haven't done it enough but was surprised I noticed it pushing on my heavy tractor that much.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ran my gehl 1475 4x5 doing 4' silage bales with a Kubota 4150. (50 hp.). I also ran it with my 2 wd ih 504 (gas). Can be done, get used to low speed and raking to suit your tractor.

I upgraded to a Kubota 7040, much better. I'm now looking for a newer sileage baler. Just curious what your finding for prices?

Also, if your going silage you have the added expenses of spears, grapples, wrappers, plastic etc... For us, its worth it, but silage can add to your costs.

·
Apprentice Forage Grower
5,228 Posts
I run 64 pto on Vermeer Rebel. Does the job here. Hills? I can see where that may push it past its limit or at least cause a slowdown. Silage and hills. Time for a bigger tractor. Probably doable, but will work the tractor to and possibly past its limits.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I run 64 pto on Vermeer Rebel. Does the job here. Hills? I can see where that may push it past its limit or at least cause a slowdown. Silage and hills. Time for a bigger tractor. Probably doable, but will work the tractor to and possibly past its limits.
X2

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think a 4x5 sileage baler will be to much for your tractor. You moght consider something smaller like a 449 Deere.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Paul, The Fortima V1500 will need a lot of Horsepower to make it work at it's potential. As far as the rotor plugging? Not here anyway...... We use a feed rotor on all models and it works extremely well. If you are wanting a chopper baler you will need a lot of ponies in front of it regardless of the baler size.

This is a shameless plug,,, but our 4x4 fixed chamber balers should do what you want. Either a Bellima or a KR125 or KR130. They don't take a lot of horsepower and handle wet hay very well. You will be limited to making a 4x4 bale, which, IMO, is the ideal size for a sileage bale, but maybe a bit small for dry hay. I

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm going to see what I can do about swinging a tractor upgrade + baler + wrapper package. Had a great chat with a neighbour yesterday who runs both a NH 740 and a claas rollant 260 and really steered me away from the NH740 due to the amount of time he spent cleaning the rollers.

Anyone out there bale a lot of high moisture feed with a NH and have a good experience?

Any thoughts on the Kuhn 2160?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts