Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has a challenger SB36 or Massey 1839 and is following a 40' header in wheat straw? I have found a couple of great used ones for a decent price. I would love to try a 1840 out but I don't think that is in the budget right now, so I'm scared to try it. I am only putting up 10k bale a year or so. I currently am running a JD 348 and it has been a great machine for 10+ years; misses maybe 1 out of 2000 bales and never have a problem with banana bales. This all being said, the pickup is way too small for following a class 7 or 8 combine with a 40' header. It barely catches the windrow and dribbles what most people wouldn't call a big deal, but bugs me. Baling capacity wise it is a pretty good unit, other than we should've ordered the heavier driveline when it was new (would've if the dealer had told us it was an option) and it is starting to show its age. We demoed a BC5070 last summer and I was not impressed, the pickup size was nice, but that was all.

I have been researching specs on all these balers and the 348 and BC5070 are both 93 stroke 30". The 1839 comes in at 100 Strokes and 22". To me and simple math the JD and NH are both covering almost 2800"/min and the Hesston 2200"/min. That's a 20% reduction! I have read in a couple places that you can boost capacity by advancing the stuffer a tooth or two on the Hesston, but also don't know anyone who has done that. With my 3020 on the front in 1st gear its about all my 348 wants capacity wise and I couldn't slow down more if I wanted to.

So to finally reach my point, is anyone doing what I am considering and does the pickup/pre-compression chamber get as much material in the 22" stroke as my 348 is now? I really like the idea of an inline with my Kunhs accumulator, but I don't want to loose capacity over "wanting" an inline. When the windrows are 40' apart it doesn't require any forethought on which direction you need to go.

I know there are other methods like splitting windrows and other slower tractors and whatnot but this is strictly a baler question, not looking to change everything in my operation.

·
Super Moderator
15,771 Posts
have read in a couple places that you can boost capacity by advancing the stuffer a tooth or two on the Hesston, but also don't know anyone who has done that. With my 3020 on the front in 1st gear its about all my 348 wants capacity wise and I couldn't slow down more if I wanted to.

So to finally reach my point, is anyone doing what I am considering and does the pickup/pre-compression chamber get as much material in the 22" stroke as my 348 is now? I really like the idea of an inline with my Kunhs accumulator, but I don't want to loose capacity over "wanting" an inline. When the windrows are 40' apart it doesn't require any forethought on which direction you need to go.
I have a 1839 but have never baled the first bale of straw with it.

Sometime ago we had a poster on here mention about increasing capacity by doing what you mentioned with stuffer advancement. The only thing I can tell you is to try and locate the post by using the search box....

I bought my 1839 five years ago and it came with straw wedges....I have scanned the owners manual and the Service Tech manual and saw no mention of increasing of capacity.

Regards, Mike

·
22 Posts
I hate when people don't answer the direct question, and try to tell you how to run your operation - but I'm gonna go ahead an reply a little off the topic...

Red or green combine?

I battled windrows out of a class 9 Red combine with a 35' head for a year and then went to spreading and wheel raking because the windrows were too wide.

We bought a 9230 last year - it has a chute on the back that funnels the straw into a really really nice even 4' windrow. I round bale over 500 acres of straw and was always unhappy with the windrow formation for making good looking round bales....until now.

I also make 3-4 thousand little squares and run an 8545 case ih inline and an old 806 tractor and have a lot of success. I'd love a CVT but can't afford it for small baling.

Just thought I would mention it - if your running red I know there's an option on making that windrow a lot cleaner and neat to pick up than they used to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate when people don't answer the direct question, and try to tell you how to run your operation - but I'm gonna go ahead an reply a little off the topic...

Red or green combine?

I battled windrows out of a class 9 Red combine with a 35' head for a year and then went to spreading and wheel raking because the windrows were too wide.

We bought a 9230 last year - it has a chute on the back that funnels the straw into a really really nice even 4' windrow. I round bale over 500 acres of straw and was always unhappy with the windrow formation for making good looking round bales....until now.

I also make 3-4 thousand little squares and run an 8545 case ih inline and an old 806 tractor and have a lot of success. I'd love a CVT but can't afford it for small baling.

Just thought I would mention it - if your running red I know there's an option on making that windrow a lot cleaner and neat to pick up than they used to be.
I'm currently running a Deere 9770sts with a 640 head and another neighbor I buy windrows from runs a S680 with a 640 header. The pickup on my current baler is just short of being wide enough and I want to think the Massey is almost a foot wider. Therefore the windrows into the machine, I would think should be ok.

Question was more if the baler could fit as much product through in the same given minute. I have thought of making a duel windrow attachment to fit on my powercast tailboard as it would be fairly easy, but then I would be ahead to have a conventional baler so the groups of bales would be out of the way. And my neighbor would be cutting when I am, and he probably wouldn't want to jack with it. Like I said, just trying to make one change....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could always put a gathering wheel on your 348. That'd be as little change as possible.
Thats a good idea. If I end up keeping it I will have to do that.

Since the 348 starting to give me driveline fits, and a new cat IV driveline is over 2k total, I'm thinking the trade light is coming on...

Doubt I'll ever get the $2k back out of it if I were to run another year then trade.

·
598 Posts
When you tested the bc5070 did you get a hayliner edition? That's a big difference in capacity. In my experience the 5070 hayliner out runs a 348 and also the newer 1840. One of the guys north of me if trading good 1840 after one year to go get another hayliner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you tested the bc5070 did you get a hayliner edition? That's a big difference in capacity. In my experience the 5070 hayliner out runs a 348 and also the newer 1840. One of the guys north of me if trading good 1840 after one year to go get another hayliner.
Yeah I could go for that contact info. The ones I have been looking at have all required a roadtrip.

Yes it was a hayliner, had it on a 4020 and the 348 on a 3020, both on same size rubber in 1st gear. Seems like all the New Holland stuff we've had over the years has either been great or junk, no in between. This one was brand new scrap iron in my book. Put 2000 Bales up before the rain with the 348 and I'm not sure the 5070 even made it to 500. Doesn't matter if its green or red around here, no service department knows hay equipment in this area.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Thats a good idea. If I end up keeping it I will have to do that.

Since the 348 starting to give me driveline fits, and a new cat IV driveline is over 2k total, I'm thinking the trade light is coming on...
Doubt I'll ever get the $2k back out of it if I were to run another year then trade.
Maugansville Ag should make you one much cheaper than that including shipping. Also, PTOs are 10% all of February. (Not that I'm trying to talk you out of trading it but it might be something to think about)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah I could go for that contact info. The ones I have been looking at have all required a roadtrip.

Yes it was a hayliner, had it on a 4020 and the 348 on a 3020, both on same size rubber in 1st gear. Seems like all the New Holland stuff we've had over the years has either been great or junk, no in between. This one was brand new scrap iron in my book. Put 2000 Bales up before the rain with the 348 and I'm not sure the 5070 even made it to 500. Doesn't matter if its green or red around here, no service department knows hay equipment in this area.
Wow - wonder what you would think if you had a good BC5070 out there. Don't have one - but everything I read about them is they will swallow a huge amount of hay.

I guess what I'm saying is - sounds like the wider pick-up would be of benefit and if the baler would perform, you'd be set. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the max drive line on the JD 348 is cat 5 and it's an option. I believe the 5070 has a cat 6 drive line standard.

Just some thoughts.....

Good luck,

Bill

·
5,711 Posts
My 348 was baling behind 40 ft header but the fellow was splitting the windrow with a rotary rake first.

I baled a bunch behind a 30 odd foot header with my 348 last fall and was perfect size. I would not want to straddle the windrow with the tractor though. When you hit spots the combine stopped or plugged a bit the wad of straw would lift a tractor right off the ground.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Now that just brought back a memory. There was a story of a 7800 (MFWD) pulling a 100 Deere thingy. The power feed clutch slipped or something and the pickup stopped. There was enough hay piled up under the tractor before it was noticed/stopped the guy needed a pull....that is he was stuck. Oops.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have no issue behind 35 or 40' drapers cutting on the ground with a 5070, no experience with the Hesston but I'm positive it would handle it no problem . I would hate to have to split the windrow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts