Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a Hesston 5580 with new belts and bearings but said the tying system could use some attention $1000 and about 30 min from home

and there is a Hesston 540 at an auction that is online about 2 hours away. Doesn’t look like it’s been used in awhile but has been outside.
Tractor choices are a Massey 175 diesel and a 165 gas. Would either one of these work for my son? He will be doing under 100 acres starting out.

also know of a JD 375? I think. It makes the 5x4 bales. Guy wants 4K for it but it’s pretty nice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sells it and does a little custom baling. The thought on the 4x4 bales was to cater to the small hobbie farms in the area. Most have sub 25hp compact tractors that can’t lift a big bale. Plus they only have a couple calves or goats or sheep. A full size bale could be sold to anyone though

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
In my area 5 ft wide bales are not desired due to that width of bale being more difficult to load in a regular pickup bed from the side so the bale will easily roll out of bed to unload. This is pertaining to hay customers that don't have a large enough tractor with a frt end loader to unload rd bale. Very small % of rd balers in my are make 5' wide bales

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my area 5 ft wide bales are not desired due to that width of bale being more difficult to load in a regular pickup bed from the side so the bale will easily roll out of bed to unload. This is pertaining to hay customers that don't have a large enough tractor with a frt end loader to unload rd bale. Very small % of rd balers in my are make 5' wide bales
ya I think we will pass on it. If it was just for our use no biggie but he will be doing everything for sale or customers

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I have a 5580 and it works pretty well. Really easy to work on and use. Old but nothing I couldn't fix in an hour when it broke. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all if it was just for your own use but if you're planning on selling the extra 4x5 are nicer to handle. I went to a John Deere 566 just for speed reasons having two babies under 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts