Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for everyone's help with my last question.

I have some false dandelions that I was told I have to reduce for my horse hay.

After the field is cut, can I simply over seed with a good horse mix, or do I have to plow it and seed from scratch?
If I can over seed it with my seed drill, should I hit the false dandelions with herbicide first?
How soon after can I seed if I spray herbicide? And where in all of this should I fertilize?

Please accept my apologies in advance for my ignorant question, but my first job is a computer tech, and i am trying to learn to be a farmer as fast as I can!

·
235 Posts
First , do you want to add to what you already have or plant a completely new stand ? Adding to , you could probably get away from spraying and overseed , I would use a no till drill , and the competition of the new grass would keep unwanted stuff out . If you want to completely start over you can burn it down with herbicide and no till it or plow it up and reseed it with what you want .

as far as when to do this I have no idea for your area . But as usual , get soil test and check all your p's and q's and you will have some good hay .

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Usually we plant hay here as soon as the ground is fit of the first couple of weeks of August. I've found my grass seed takes much better in the fall than spring.

·
374 Posts
Soil test first, as siscofarms suggested. Most of the other questions have an it depends answer. What is your current crop? We know you've got false dandelions, any other problems species that you want to get rid of? What do you want to plant? Certain plants do well overseeded into living stands, others need it suppressed, and others really need a prepped seed bed. Depending on what herbicide you use, you could have wait times after spraying before you can plant, or you might hurt seedlings.

Lots of factors there. You do want good fertility when you put your seed out to give it the best chance of survival that you can.

Reed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your support!
The soil analysis shows an average ph around 6.4 with mostly clay and organic soils, the full analysis is
Is somewhat overwhelming and very complete ( inc. availability of all minerals etc)
We were told to plant a semi ruminant hay (Timothy and alfalfa I believe) there is some purple p
Flowered clover but noT as much as the false dandelions. It is a hay crop but I have been told it needs some modification to be horse quality.
I plowed one field (a little to deep at first....still discing it to level it out), and would prefer not to do another field this year(plow under)
Thank you all again! This forum is a great help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts