Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice from anyone who has been there and done that.

I picked up a used NH7320 discbine at the end of the season last year. I grow primarily orchard grass/timothy which likes a 4-5 inch stubble. Over the winter I ordered a set of high stubble shoes to get the higher stubble height.

I went out last week to do the install. Pretty darn easy on 5 of the 7 cutterbar modules. But the outer two modules have me a bit stumped. On the outer edge of the outer modules you can't get a socket on the 1/2" cap screw due to interference from the cutterbar support bracket bolts (these are those two bolts that have the grease zerk built into the cap).

About all I can get on these two outermost cap screws is an open ended wrench (can't even get the box end on the head). I am concerned about rounding off the head. I had to use an impact wrench to break the othe dozen cap screws free (and yes, I soaked them for several days in penetrating fluid first).

Looking for advice from anyone who has installed these high stubble shoes and if they had the same issue. What did you do?

The obvious answer looks to be to back out the two cutterbar support bracket bolt that is in the way but the owner's manual doesn't address this anywhere. If anyone has messed with these cutterbar support bracket bolts, anything I need to be aware of before I start monkeying with them?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Been there with my NH 1411 I had to take nuts off push bolts back to get to skid shoe bolts with the correct tools you are on the right track.

While your at it check how much slop is in the cutter bar bushings before it costs you the upper drive gear box . I just ordered pins and bushings for mine from Discbine Doctor. I used a floor jack to gently jack up cutterbar to see play.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks farmerbrown. Glad to find somebody who has been down the road ahead of me.

Do I need to use a jack to take off any of the cutterbar weight before I back out the offending bolt? And is there a specific torque for putting the nut back on?

And just why are these two bolts greased? Sure looks like nothing moves between these parts and even odder to grease a part that doesn't move.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes I would lightly use a jack to take the pressure off. Don't go up too high with it or you will just create pressure in the other direction.

Keep those bolts greased religiously. The bolts themselves don't move but they go through a bushing that does. You'll see if you remove one of them. Need to keep plenty of grease in there, at least I do.

·
2,837 Posts
The nuts get torqued to 200 ftlbs. The tapered end of the nut goes on the bolt first so it mates with the bevel in the frame. I do not reuse the nuts, but if you do, I would put some locktite on them.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was an awesome bit of advice from MIke10. Much appreciated.

Looks like my model is the newer style wiht the cup built into the yoke. Really good suggestions about what to watch out for down the road.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hats off to Mike10, farmerbrown, and Trotwood2955! Your advice was spot on.

I finished the high stubble shoe kit install this afternoon. I took Mike10's advice and opted for new nuts on the cutterbar support bracket bolts. A fresh load of grease into the bolt zerk and a bottle jack to take off some weight and those bolts backed right out once the nuts were off to give me access to the skid shoe bolts. Thank goodness for my dad's 40 year old electric impact wrench to break the nuts free cuz there wasn't much room to swing a breaker bar under there.

By the way, on the new nuts I bought from the dealer, there was a pink paste on the threads. What was that? Threadlocker?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.