Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only posting this here since there have been multiple threads with folks on the fence about going the preservative route or not. I abstained for years, just felt unnatural or something. However, bit the stick two years ago and got the 5 gal tote haygard applicator. Been a godsend for me this year. 1st cutting was really early due to funky weather and it made a difference in getting it baled a day early and before crummy weather. Same for second. Just did some third cutting. Humidity is sky high (65%), ground is damp from the hurricane remnant last week, and after 2.5 days of sun the western fire smoke haze has settled in and together with the humidity, would not have had a chance without the HG. Some hay was 12-13% but most was 16-20 so the pump just stayed on while in windrow. Have not had an issue with any bale this year at moisture levels that were "too high" or a "lot too high".

·
5,732 Posts
New drum of it showed up here today. This year has been a monsoon season.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do you have to wash your baler off after using that so it doesn't rust?

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,675 Posts
We started using a fully automatic applicator on a big square baler about 15 years ago. Buffered propionic acid so a different active ingredient but a preservative none the less. That system has paid for itself many many times over.

Never have washed our big square after using buffered propionic acid in 15 years. No unusual rust either.

Reactions: Onthayman

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir, missed doing it once, but will never again. Still it now has rust and before I never had rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts