Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build my hay wagon decks out of treated 2x6. I pull my wagons behind the baler. They're still very slippery and an empty wagon bounces around quite a bit causing the bales to slide around and lose their pack. What are some effective solutions to this?

I've considered some kind of paint to put down and throw some sand in it, or just stapling cattle panel to the top but that might make it more difficult to blow off.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
What about 2 or 3 rows of 1x2 furring strips going front to back. One down the middle then split the difference between the middle and side. Be easy to blow off and walk on if needed. But in todays wood might cost a few hundred... Lol

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Back in our wagon stacking days we would stack 3-5 bales on the right front corner of the wagon to balance it out, keep wagon from bouncing going through field. Would be the first few bales out of the chute before starting the wagon. Ours were not made out of treated lumber but 20,000 bales/year and decades of use they were slippery as well.

·
70 Posts
Shingles. Find some cheap (partial box) and nail a bunch them on the deck. Adds traction and you can still blow them off. Lots of folks have 1/2 a box of shingles laying around out back.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shingles. Find some cheap (partial box) and nail a bunch them on the deck. Adds traction and you can still blow them off. Lots of folks have 1/2 a box of shingles laying around out back.
That's a great idea. And it would really only need to be on the rear 6 feet of the wagon. Once that gets full, it's loaded down and not near as bouncy. I've got some spare shingles and sheets of asphalt rolled roofing that could be nailed down too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts