Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
They say you’re a man of vision....
3,049 Posts
At the dealer I work at, we have tried service specials to get stuff thru the shop in the winter, and generally, they were unsuccessful. Most people want to put their stuff away when their done with it, and worry about it 2 days before they need it again....

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
I use a special periodically.....especially if it includes pick up and delivery. Quite often the dealer will report to me that I need this or that and they can do it for this price....I thank them, but not often do I let the dealer do the repair....I usually check it out myself first, then let the fella that does most of my mechanics do the repair.

Regards, Mike

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
Had local CIH dealer run my combine thru last winter for inspection and then had them fix what needed fixed. Dropped $17,600 in it of which about 6 grand was labor and could have saved another 2 grand by buying parts from Shoup instead od CIH. But what needed fixed was hard work and I don't have a shop to get combine into and did not want to wait till summer to work on it and chance a late start to harvest. Good thing is ran 750 acres thru it and only break down was to replace three bolts in a bearing flange that the dealer had put in new.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
My dad would send the discbine to JD for their service special every spring. I continued to do this until caseih84 got me comfortable working on my own stuff 8 years ago. Here is what I found: I requested that the discs be removed to clean foreign material out from underneath. They did the 4 center ones but did not remove the outer ones. Had them rebuild on lift cylinder and it started leaking a couple months later, rebuilt it again the following year and same results. Took it into work and caseih84 and I worked on it and he found a bur on it. Smoothed up and rebuilt and has not leaked in 8 years. After my experience this year I just don't have any faith in service shops and consider myself lucky that I have someone able to help me work on my equipment.

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,220 Posts
When we had small NH balers built in the early 80s and late 70s we would send them in every other year for a winter inspection. When we bought our new ones in the late 90s we didn't do that as much. It used to save quite a bit of money. I'm not sure I would trust the NH dealer now though. We haven't taken the big square in yet to the MF dealer for inspection as it doesn't have a high enough bale count for that. Haven't needed any actual winter repairs.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
At the dealer I work at, we have tried service specials to get stuff thru the shop in the winter, and generally, they were unsuccessful. Most people want to put their stuff away when their done with it, and worry about it 2 days before they need it again....
Just talked to a guy that works at a JD lawn and garden dealer. He said they actually HIRE techs for just the winter due to their increased workload. They have a free delivery/pickup special for lawnmowers in the winter and people sent their stuff in then...

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
Just talked to a guy that works at a JD lawn and garden dealer. He said they actually HIRE techs for just the winter due to their increased workload. They have a free delivery/pickup special for lawnmowers in the winter and people sent their stuff in then...
My nearby JD dealer is currently running a special on MOCO's(disc type only) and Round Baler's for $199. This includes the typical cleaning, inspecting, checking oil levels, grease and lube chains, adjust chain tension, and check gearbox levels.

This special includes;

Free pickup and delivery within 40 miles.

10% discount on parts and 20% discount on labor.

Offer ends Jan. 31, 2016

I had them service my MOCO on this special last year....I thought it was a pretty good deal..especially since I had yet to clean my moco.

It gives the shop something to do in the winter and often leads to some sort of repair work.

Regards, Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.