Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local dealer has a 14 wheel H&S HC used. They are asking $9000. It looks like it is in good shape and rubber looks originial with little wear. I have a JD700 roll bar and I am tired of manually getting off and folding and unfolding. I am not a big fan of wheel rakes but am willing to succumb under pressure.

Here are my questions. 1. Is that a good deal? 2. Will it work in small areas (like a fenced 2ac paddock)? 3. It is high capacity ... will it do good in light crops?

I know it total width is more than my 700 so I could gather more when the crop is light. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
could not tell you if its a good deal or not , but I have a frontier 10- wheel that I use in my large fields. I have a 2.5 acre field at my dads place and I use a 3 point wheel rake there because the frontier is to big and cumbersome. I would think on that small of field that is fenced a 14 wheel would be a PITA.

·
568 Posts
Are the rake wheels in good shape? If they are missing times the holes they go thru may be ovaled and the entire wheeled may need replaced, about $110 each. That is a good rake to pull two 16' windrows together . Any wider and it stresses teeth to much . I rake some small areas but it is awkward. Mel

·
568 Posts
Are the rake wheels in good shape? If they are missing times the holes they go thru may be ovaled and the entire wheeled may need replaced, about $110 each. That is a good rake to pull two 16' windrows together . Any wider and it stresses teeth to much . I rake some small areas but it is awkward. Mel

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it has all the teeth and wheels look straight. No welds.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,980 Posts
Your JD700 is the same as a Vermeer R23. I use both a Vermeer R23 and a Vermeer WRX12, a 12 wheel hi cap wheel rake. On the average, I will give the nod to the R23 for doing a better job of raking, and getting a better windrow shape for a 5 foot wide round baler in hay, especially alfalfa. A 14 wheel rake would be really cumbersome in a small piece compared to the 700.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,980 Posts
$9,000 would get you in the ballpark on a decent used Vermeer R2300 which is a newer, hydraulic folding version of the JD700/R23.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.