Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baled small squares at 14-18 % moisture. Stacked and several days later reads were in the 20’s. Never had this happen before. If these bales are sweating, how long will it take and will the moisture ever read back to the original read. Thanks.

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,228 Posts
It is a common occurrence, especially when you put up really good hay. I spend more energy on heat from the bales which usually is not noticeable after 4 or 5 days. I am talking about heat above ambient temp by 10-15 degrees, not hot bales. I usually set asi 3-4 of th heaviest bales and put them where they are easy to access and roll to check the confined surface temperatures.

as to ho long it will take, so many variables but there are numerous threads on HT on this topic

Reactions: 8350HiTech

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
As TX Jim says yes it’s normal. I put some up this year at 15-17 % and the next day it was in the low 20’s. I told myself if I put it up 18% or less just quit looking at it. It will drive you crazy if you keep checking it. If you bale when temps are near 100 then expect the hay to be 100 for several days. I have had hay actually drop to below ambient temp several days after baling. There seems to be a lot going on in a bale that can’t be explained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts