Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Trimble 250 guidance system with a patch antenna and the optional AGS-15. I'm going to use my JD 4450 to pull my 40 ft boom sprayer and need to figure out how and where to mount the AGS-15 antenna. I have the mounting plate with the adhesive strips which I could stick in the middle of the top of the SG cab. I also thought about building a steel pipe or angle iron pole with a steel plate on the top which I could bolt to the back of the cab and it would be long enough to be above the cab. I can also build or buy more steel plates to use on my other tractors if I decided to use a smaller tractor. I wanted to use the 4450 as the cab is very tight and would keep out the fumes, has room in the tray for the remote controller, and also has a rear view camera. Will be doing some spraying in Feb which could be a bit cool for open station tractors and my other cab tractor is too big. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
10,011 Posts
On my centerline 220, it uses an antenna that looks like an XM antenna, small little thing. I didn't have a plate with mine so I put it on a piece of stainless and used two part epoxy to mount to the stainless, I then used silicone to adhere the plate to the cab. No need to be higher or anything... I bought another antenna, think it might be another brand but the same antenna, on eBay for bout $20, keep that just in case but I always use my 6420 to spray in, never even needed the additional ant......prolly couldn't tell you where it was at now....

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
Or low entry ways? I would use aluminum channel instead of steel....no rusting and much lighter(less stress).

Regards, Mike

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
Firmly attach steel plate to top of cab, preferably with screws or bolts and then set the magnet mount on it. No need to be any higher, just has to be higher than muffler or air cleaner if mounted on hood. Ag-15 antenna has a stout magnet under it, takes a pretty good limb to take it off the cab.

·
4,348 Posts
We farm some on contours when the antenna was too far back close to the drawbar it took to long for me to see when to start to turn . In my mind the ideal spot would be dead center from front to rear . Going strait ahead it does not matter but on turns it makes a difference we use the guidance to help us make the turn at the end of the row and find our last pass

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Why is that?
Depends on the operator, the operation and the tractor type.

For spreading fertilizer I like the antennae on the nose of the tractor, Dad prefers it was far back as possible. On our four wheel drive articulated tractors it works best if the antennae is mounted directly over the front axle.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I think that I will mount the pad in the front and middle of the cab on the JD 4450. I will have to check the height of my muffler to be sure it is not in the cone of GPS signal. My plan is to use one or two passes on the headlands which will give me 40 or 80 ft to turn for the next pass. I don't plan right now to use my articulated tractor but if I do it actually turns shorter than my 4450. The magnet is indeed very strong on the AGS-15. I might use the patch antenna on my small 3 cylinder JD diesel or my JD 3020 if the weather is good and my other tractors are tied up. Been checking the Bermuda fields and I seem to have a bit more rye grass than normal plus a few Wooly Crotons (goat weed) and some dandelions. Anyone in the East Texas area have any recommendations on a herbicide cocktail for the Feb time frame? Thanks for the inputs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.