Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a lot of trouble this yr. getting paid. How do you guys deal with that.The big horse farms are not the trouble. Ohio Hay, are you having trouble your dealing with the same bunch I am! Bills are coming in and the cash is not.

·
61 Posts
I am carring several acounts also, some are several K, the livestock market beef and dairy both isn't good right now so the hay market isn't either, winter kill took 75 to 80 acres out this year and I will take out all but 40 acres for next year. I had 165 acres last year. Will go to wheat and corn til this market turns around, but am keeping my acres open for seeding if this starts to turn.
The horses are all current writing checks as the hay is unloaded.

Is anybody having trouble with teff all 5 horse customers don't want any after trying a couple of bales and the dairy doesn't think it is worth any more than any other grass. I can get more $ for orchard and broom then teff.

·
downtownjr
1,560 Posts
I asked my neighbor just a few minutes ago...he and some others have a 35 horse stable west of Indy...if they have feed any teff to their horses. He stated that the word on the street is that horses do not like it very well. He has not tried it, but the horse folks he shows with and knows are saying no to Teff. In fact, he stated it is taboo to take a bale of teff to a horse show. Anybody else hearing this from horse people? I have only asked this one person concerning horses...so it is rumor intel at this point. However, at the 4-H fair I talked to a guy that grows teff...first time this year and he stated he sells it to horse, goat, donkey, and cattle folks and it seemed to sell well enough...his yields have been very good as well...on the way to at least 6, probably 7 tons per acre. I figured it may be worth trying a few acres. In fact, the person with the donkeys introduced me to the teff guy when I was looking at the hay projects...just BSing. Curious to what others are hearing because the neighbor is a big time horse show person...hits the big shows.

·
Hay Master
842 Posts
I am seeing more of that this year than ever. I am definately holding more accounts than usual. I am not normally worried about getting payed in the end with this bunch, but it is definately not helping my summer cash flow. Our main selling picks up in september and hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

·
Hay Master
842 Posts
I think the potential problem with teff is that it is so fine stemmed. Sometimes we get volunteer blue grass in our fields. Even if we get it made right, our horse customers really don't like it. They say the horses sort out the fine stems and just eat the timothy and orchard and the blue grass goes to waste. We didn't sell last years teff to any horses, fed it all to our cattle. The cows ate it well.

·
53 Posts
Have a 40K account feeding Alpacas, owes 4K am taking a Kobota 4 wheel utility vehicle in trade @ .40 cents on the dollar. I think there is going to be a few of them in trouble.

·
Super Moderator
8,704 Posts
Does the Kobota have clear title or mortgaged to bank?Sounds like they are near the end.Are the alpacas the latest fad to fail where the first ones sold high priced breeding stock than no one left to buy and market falls.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts