Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Goontard
1,790 Posts
My cousin posted this on FB.It's inbetween 2 farms I rent
70693872_10217560675002277_1731603940413
I loath those rain gauges. That is the only kind I had for a while and I ALWAYS had more rain than everyone else... lots more rain!!! Finally it dawned on me and I took it to my shop... the measurements are spot-on on the side, but the problem is--- there's a funnel on top of it, and the scale does not account for it.

A good starret caliper and a calculator say that the scale on the side of the gauge is off by a factor of 1.81:1.

So, (let's just say) that rain gauge is 8-1/2' tall; it only takes 4.69" of rainfall to fill it.

Mark

I personally don't care, that's still a LOT of rain. Just thought I would throw that out there 'cause there are a jillion of them little buggers around out there. I would hate it if that kind of less-than-perfect information would ever be presented in a coffee shop or sumn ;)

Oh, by the way, I still have mine; it and a "real" rain gauge are mounted on opposite sides of the same corner post. Thinking of getting a third rain gauge and putting a 1/4" washer on top of it. That way, I could always have either less or more rain than everyone else at the coffee shop, so I could be prepared to complain that I have it the worst whether it be in a drought or monsoon.

·
Registered
617 Posts
When I see those rainfall amounts like they had in western Minnesota and they had this week right along the Wisconsin Illinois line It really makes you wonder about guys like stackemup's neighbor who want to farm 20,000 acres.

·
Registered
375 Posts
All of the prevent plant acres in this area are from the big operators. Us small operators got things planted, maybe not at the time we wanted, but there are no idle acres.

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
All of the prevent plant acres in this area are from the big operators. Us small operators got things planted, maybe not at the time we wanted, but there are no idle acres.
no rhyme or reason here on who planted or not.Seems like everyone has some PP acres, a wetter farm that doesn't drain well or a low part of a field.I know a few didn't plant anything or maybe just their beans but it was June before they could even get in the field.A few that didn't plant a thing are well healed so why fight it,plant corn in June and combine wet corn at thanksgiving with snow coming.Everyone I know that didn't plant went threw it in 93 and didn't want to go threw that again.

Common factor of ones that I know that didn't plant much at all is they own it or most of it,and Prly Pd for so it was like renting it out for the yr for 300+ a acre.

I had manure and fertilizer on already on most acres for corn so I planted that.I have corn just starting to dent so time will tell if I made right desission planting that.

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
no rhyme or reason here on who planted or not.Seems like everyone has some PP acres, a wetter farm that doesn't drain well or a low part of a field.I know a few didn't plant anything or maybe just their beans but it was June before they could even get in the field.A few that didn't plant a thing are well healed so why fight it,plant corn in June and combine wet corn at thanksgiving with snow coming.Everyone I know that didn't plant went threw it in 93 and didn't want to go threw that again.

Common factor of ones that I know that didn't plant much at all is they own it or most of it,and Prly Pd for so it was like renting it out for the yr for 300+ a acre.

I had manure and fertilizer on already on most acres for corn so I planted that.I have corn just starting to dent so time will tell if I made right desission planting that.
So are you 3 weeks or so away on your corn from being finished?

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
I went to an agronomy meeting last night. The speaker had all kinds of data, facts and
figures. We have a warm spell coming for the next 4-5 days. After that, if we figure on
average temps until Oct 12, we will get another 300 GDU's. That will leave most of us
~100 GDU's short, if we get a killing frost on the 12th. He claims that 100 GDU shortfall
isn't the end of the world. It will likely result in a 5 to 6% yeild reduction. The
moisture however, will be 35% !

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So are you 3 weeks or so away on your corn from being finished?

Regards, Mike
I'd say closer to 5-6weeks.Need some warm weather.We get some warm days then days that don't get much over 60 so don't rack up many GDUs

Full moon is about 4 weeks from now,we have to get by that or it will really hurt the yields and test weight.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The prevent plant is a lot more noticeable with the big operators because they simply had whole farms or large fields that they didn't plant. The others may have had a field here and there or portions of a field that they tried to plant but had to leave the wet spots.

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
I'd say closer to 5-6weeks.Need some warm weather.We get some warm days then days that don't get much over 60 so don't rack up many GDUs

Full moon is about 4 weeks from now,we have to get by that or it will really hurt the yields and test weight.
Wow, that IS a ways off....and as early as frost and freezes come in your part of the country, it will be tough for it to finish out. We are between 95°- 100° everyday now and have been that way for weeks. It is as dry now as it has been in many years. I am thankful that it really didn't get bad until the last 6 weeks. Pretty sure I won't be making anymore hay this year after this week. I usually make some really nice hay about a month from now, but that is very very doubtful. No rain in sight.

Regards, Mike

·
1,309 Posts
Went from terribly dry here to wet and muddy in about a 2 week span. Close to 6 inches of rain here in the last month. Makes it tough to get much done. Our silage chopper is behind, getting stuck all the time, not sure when he'll make it here. Most guys got their small grains combined but a few got caught and still have some getting rained on. Fields are so wet not sure how the soybeans will get harvested. We all prayed for rain all summer and now our prayers have been answered but we're all hoping it shuts off and drys up.

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It turned wet here also had from 8-15" on different farms the last few weeks.What a year!Still need to cut 85 acres of Prevent Plant seeded to ryegrass.Corn still isn't blacklayered.Water standing in bean rows yesterday.Everyone around here is ready for 2019 to be over.

Looks like we missed the frost last night it's 35 this morning.

Predicting another 1" of rain for tonight

·
Registered
375 Posts
There are several places in Minnesota that already have 2019 as the wettest year on record. Around here, very little third cutting done, no silage or soybeans getting done either. The last thing we need is more rain tonight.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.