Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Yep, April May June a mere mention of rain, as little as 20% would soak us and stop work for another week, now that we can use some rain, a 90% chance gets us a few tenths.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Same here, wet spring/early summer, dry since July 1. Just checked July 1 until yesterday 3.4", previous 5 year average 7.41". 4th cutting about 5-10% bloom and only about 12-15" high at best. :(

Larry

·
Registered
375 Posts
I could use some of that dryness up here. We've been getting an inch or two each week in August. One week was 5.2".
July was not much better. Now we have a 40 to 50 percent chance for the next 5 days.

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
Longest dry spell of the summer here, now up to 9 days! About 7” in July and another 4” thru August. It can quit here till December, corn and beans have plenty to finish, just need 30 days of heat.

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't have to go far and it is wet.Was at a guys place 60 miles west and he thought they would have to push silage trucks threw the field 2 weeks from now without anymore rain.

The Buffalo Ridge screws up our weather sometimes and it slides north or south or splits.

·
Super Moderator
15,823 Posts
We are into our second drought period. Just mowed 5th cutting alfalfa yesterday. Still in the windrow, but I think I can bale it tomorrow.

Regards, Mike

·
652 Posts
Believe it are not in my little neck of the woods we are a little over 7" behind. It's really been a dry summer. We have gotten some rain but we have missed a lot. Not a drop out of Dorian.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Troy, it would have suited my area had you gotteh the rain we did. We got about 8 inches following last few weeks of decent rain following dry spring following a very wet winter from last hurricane. Just be sure to keep the wind..especially following few inches of rain. It does amaze me how rain can vary so much from you to me. At same time it varies lot closer than that. This summer saw corn that looked good and some that looked great within 1/2 mile of each other due to difference in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Same here, wet spring/early summer, dry since July 1. Just checked July 1 until yesterday 3.4", previous 5 year average 7.41". 4th cutting about 5-10% bloom and only about 12-15" high at best. :(

Larry
I'm not even going to get a third cutting on most of my fields. last time mowed it sat almost two weeks before showing any signs of regrowth, if one follows Purdues recommendations on when to cut the last time, it has 9 days to make up for three weeks.

Reactions: IHCman

·
1,309 Posts
3rd dry year in a row here. 1st cut was good, 2nd cut some was ok some was poor, not going to get a 3rd cut as it just didn't rain enough to get it to grow. Crops did surprisingly well for how hot and dry it was. Beans might be hurt though. Its been really cool lately making many wonder if the corn will dry down.

Chances of rain tomorrow and pretty much every day next week. Wish we'd have gotten some of that rain earlier in the year.

·
Hay Master
2,194 Posts
Not dry anymore,pic from radio station.I farm in that area but not my field or bales in pic.Up to 7" last night and 10" this week.
71067389_2326909674095282_25448214062442
Cy all you had to do was complain about being dry and look what happens, plenty of rain. Now, turn your attention to low commodity prices!

Reactions: swmnhay

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Desperately need some rain. I was pulling soil samples on PP acres and decided to check a corn field, have a big ole auger bit for a brace I use with a 20volt Dewalt to pull samples, went maybe 10" down and had nothing but powder. Normally wouldn't worry about it too much, but with as wet as it was earlier everything has shallow roots.

·
Super Moderator
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bad deal if a person has to harvest a crop that is already late and wet and not worth much and then have to harvest in the mud.
Yea alot of guys want to get PP acres baled.A big variety of stuff.Oats,Wheat,Teff,Millet,Annual Ryerass,sorghum sudan grass.This is going to make thing even more difficult to get dry and baled.Also about time to cut silage here in a week or 2 and thats going to be a mess.

2019 sucks!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I cant see the water line O wait is it full? I forgot about prevent plant harvest but that, and corn silage starting here soon, other years that would be rolling along already, Some guys need to start because they are out or running out of corn silage

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.