Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just so you know I am not trying to waste your time, I have been searching this site as well as others but cannot find what I am looking for.

I am trying to find directions/pictures (I like pictures - they`re easier to read) on how to flip my gearbox from 540 to 1000. I have a Vermeer 403F baler that I pull with a Massey Ferguson 2615 that is rated at 49 hp. I do Ok on the flats but we don`t have many in the hills of WV and when I get to aroud 3 feet I am sometimes in 2nd gear low range.

Can someone walk me through it step by step please? Will doing this really allow me to see much of a difference that it will make it worth my time to do?

Thanks in advance. I will gladly give you my number if you`d rather talk about it over the phone.

·
Hay Master
1,484 Posts
Step one blow it off really good! Remove wind guard that rides on pickup. There are four bolts from the bottom to remove and two shafts that enter the unit. You will need the end PTO shaft for the 1000. Around 800$ for the super J. Sure I may have forgotten some of the details. HTH Martin

·
3,912 Posts
The only time I have seen the 1,000 PTO suggested on my equipment was when a 100 HP or larger tractor was being used.

On my discbine it says the 1,000 PTO will not increase cutting speed, just reduces (or increases) torque.

Vermeer has a excellent customer service at their cooporate headquarters. I would call them and see if what I wanted to try would work. if it is the solution then they will help in any way they can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. the local Vermeer dealer said this v was something guys used to frequently do when they were baleing with the Massey Ferguson 35. he mentioned moving input shaft of gearbox to output on baler and vice versa. nothing mentioned about adding any other shafts.

·
83 Posts
I replace my gearbox on a 605C... everything is pretty straight forward for flipping, the problem comes in with compatibility with the couplers that need to swap on the input/output shafts.

only way to know that is to take them out and look at them.

remember, running them flipped will slow the baler down to almost half speed.

I wish Vermeer had an online parts catalogue available to us mere mortals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.