Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn’t a “pasture” but figured I could still get good advice
I recently purchased a grass aircraft runway that has been around since the 70’s. While overall it’s in decent condition and pretty level, there are some ruts, “washboarding” and a few uneven spots. I have a heavy duty drag harrow which has definitely helped level and fill some spots, but there are some deeper ones that still need work. My original plan was too bring in some fill dirt and fill in ruts, and level accordingly, then roll it. Looking at it again today, especially in the areas that are washboarded, or have deeper ruts from vehicles, I was thinking maybe it would be best to Rototill the bad areas, then drag to level. That said I really have no clue what I’m doing so hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.
What is everyone’s thoughts? Keep in mind that beyond mowing and damage repairs from wildlife, this area hasn’t seen any real maintenance since the mid 1990’s
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

· Registered
471 Posts
I'd see what kind of hay/yield you get off it first, and if not good get it chiseled and turned over to loosen it up, leveled out, and reseeded. I made hay last summer on an old air strip, decent mix of orchard, fescue, reed canary grass, and a smattering of old alfalfa still coming up. So, it had been reseeded some time in the past. I purchased the standing crop from it, but the yield was decent. If I owned or rented it directly, only thing I'd do is spray for weeds and fertilize.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts