Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, and thank you for letting me join this group. A little about us...we have a tiny Homestead, 7 acres, where we raise poultry for eggs and meat, Geese for "crowd control" American Guinea hogs for meat and sale, 2 miniature goats (a buck and a doe for milking) , one Shetland ewe for wool....and now...a just weaned bottle calf for breeding and milking much later. This is the first cow I have been owned by, and she has won my heart. I am starting her on leading training and she is doing fairly well. She doesn't struggle against the lead. I have her in the same "yard" as the Ewe, an area about 65 x 120 ft., well drained, great grassy pasture. One of my questions...when and what will she need as far as shots? Will it be OK to raise her with my Ewe? The person I bought her from kept feed in front of her 24/7 Is this what I need to do as well? Thank you in advance for any and all help in answering my questions. I love my little Daisy Mae, and want her to be healthy and happy.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Depends on the quality of the feed, don't want to over grain her and nor do you need the best hay money can buy. Cows have four stomachs and they need roughage to make sure they all develop properly if she's kept for the long haul.

Far as shots you need to talk to your local veterinarian to see what's normal for your area, would also be helpful if you knew what she might have already had from the previous owner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. The feed she is on, is a ground (powder type) feed, 12%. Her hay is a timothy hay and I mixed in some silage hay. The previous owner had a silage hay bale out for them, they ate on it all day. I doubt I will be able to get a bale of that silage hay I have no way to haul it, or get it into the pasture. I will find out what shots, if any, she has had. Thanks again.

·
3,912 Posts
The only shot that is a "must have" on heifers we retain is the 7 way black leg vaccination.

We do give a respiratory vaccination to the calves that will be sold and shipped.

How much feed she needs will depend on how well she maintains her body condition. Some of that will depend on how much forage she has. Cattle will graze and eat most of the day when forage is available. When I first wean calves I feed them a good bit to help their body adjust to not having milk.

·
Registered
899 Posts
What breed is your young heifer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thorim, her sire is a full Black Angus, Dam is 1/2 Holstein and 1/2 something else...I can't remember. If I can figure how to post pictures...I will put one on here. She is so pretty...and I am hoping to have her in our family for a long time. :)

I will call my vet today and ask about the 7 way and black leg Thanks!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Interesting cross wonder what the quantity of milk production will be like???

Reactions: somedevildawg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, Somedevildawg, she will be for milking. Thorim, since it is just my husband and I home now...I don't worry too much about the quantity of milk as I do the quality. I want to start making cheese and butter so I can cross those off of the list of things I am currently buying at the store. Also, the home made cheese makes great Holiday gifts for family. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Interesting cross wonder what the quantity of milk production will be like???
We had an angus holstein cross cow once, she had no problems raising her own calf plus another three. She loved calves, soon as she had her own get another three in with her and she'd raise all four no problems.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yes, Somedevildawg, she will be for milking. Thorim, since it is just my husband and I home now...I don't worry too much about the quantity of milk as I do the quality. I want to start making cheese and butter so I can cross those off of the list of things I am currently buying at the store. Also, the home made cheese makes great Holiday gifts for family. :)
Depending on what site you check a Holstein/Holstein mix can produce an average of six to eight gallons of milk a day,

·
3,912 Posts
her sire is a full Black Angus, Dam is 1/2 Holstein and 1/2 something else..
If her dam is half holstein and the other half is "milk cow" then she cold be a good milker. I would be a little concerned if she was only 1/4 milk cow.

I grew up hand milking cows with my grandparents. Most of the half bred dairy cows did not give much milk, especially as heifers. I am not trying to sound pessimistic. We were just a little disappointed in the half holsteins after keeping them 2.5 years and getting 2 gallons a day.

Until recently I kept at least one nurse cow and I would milk one faucet for me. We had a Jersey that gave 48 lb. of milk per day.

I am happy and proud of anyone who is willing to milk their own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. This is the first cow/calf we have ever had here, and I just want to make sure she is healthy and happy. I am going to the previous owners home today, and getting all of the information he has on her pertaining to her vetting, DOB, etc. Our Daisy is a sweet little thing, happy, and she follows me around the pasture or barn. The only " issue" I am having right now is...she will come up behind me, put her head between my legs and push up....looking for a bottle/teet. I am short enough, and she is tall enough, she almost takes my feet out from under me. I am hoping this stops soon...when she realizes she gets no more bottles.

·
3,912 Posts
Need to break the butting problem now if you are going to keep her. She is looking for an udder and butting upward to get the milk down.

I have a bottle raised orphan calf in the pasture. I had to discourage the butting of my back side. I did it by kicking back/behind me when I felt her presence. She has to learn my space. This is a bit hard to teach since the calf sees you are the momma/security. You have to be consistent and serious about breaking the habit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.